Author: ptbptb

an ugly chen shui-bian [Copy link] 中文

Gold Medal

Post time 2007-10-16 13:27:58 |Display all floors
Originally posted by interesting at 2007-10-16 07:08
Satsu,

No. A protectorate is a country that is nominally sovereign but who enters into an agreement by which they come under the protection of some other power, usually this will include a varie ...

Schreiber,

First of all thanks for your explanation. This was new to me. I've visited Saipan several times and never had the impression that Micronesia is an 'extension of US territory'. US institutions are almost invisible and immigration is fast and efficient (contrary to the US). I know however that Guam is considered to be US territory and this again is visible by entering GUAM. They have full US immigration procedures and a nice slogan: Guam, where Americas day begins.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-10-30 19:15:08 |Display all floors

Abian is equal to a dog!

Abian is equal to a dog!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-1 11:26:27 |Display all floors
Satsu,

Not a problem. US territorial systems can be complicated and some even seem uncertain in their Constitutionality. I would expect that they'd be nearly invisible at Saipan as it was a US protectorate (under UN auspices as part of the Northern Mariana Islands) until the 1970s when an independence move was rejected by the islanders in favor of closer ties. The current agreement is a Commonwealth agreement that is, to my knowledge, looser than the one for Puerto Rico and basically puts the islands outside the jurisdictions of many US institutions. The political system is apparently corrupt by US standards but not if we recognize that it has only 85k people. In that light, its government is pretty much on par with that of small cities, which tend to seem (and be) more corrupt because greater local ties encourage favoritism and other low-level issues.

Much of the rest of former Trusteeship has Compacts of Free Association: the US provides cash and institutional assistance and they provide defense access to the islands. It works out pretty well for all the parties involved and the Compacts were renewed with little controversy so far as I recall.
"Justice prevails... evil justice."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-7 19:00:51 |Display all floors
Originally posted by crazyazn at 2007-10-11 16:18

Thank God that Abian has blocked all those Investments into the Mainland. it is his job that Investments and the jobs they creat stay in the country.

Agricultural products are still being e ...

You silly ignorant, Taiwan makes 100 billion USD year on year by trading with mainland, do your homework, okay?

Plus, I second that the mainland government kick all those green Taiwan companies out of mainland. It really doesn’t make any sense to make profits for a bunch of traitors.
无知无耻无能无聊的西方人

Use magic tools Report

crazyazn has been deleted
Post time 2007-11-19 16:54:23 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-23 17:40:45 |Display all floors

c.sb

what on earth does he want to do
puzzled...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-11-24 21:19:15 |Display all floors

kao

magebide!!!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.