Views: 9086|Replies: 31

How do Chinese study English? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-8-6 22:50:52 |Display all floors
"English is easy to learn,Chinese is hard to learn",I Know many people say that ,but the fact is that many Chinese study English even from preliminary school and when they graduate from University , they still cann't speak a integrated word.Why?What is the problem?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-7 04:47:26 |Display all floors
I think speaking with native speakers is important, or at least listening to native speakers on tapes, CD's or videos. When you learn in school, do you listen to tapes a lot?

I am learning chinese, and it's especially difficult, almost impossible to only learn from books. You will never get the pronunciation without hearing several different native speakers, and really repeating a lot until you sound just like them.

Then having conversations is a whole new issue - I think in any language, listening is the hardest part, would you agree? When someone is talking, it seems so fast, and just when you think you've understood a word or half a sentence, they have meanwhile spoken 2 more sentences that you missed because you were thinking of the one sentence you understood! LOL.... I think it really takes spending time with native speakers.

One problem with getting native speakers there is that the pay and lifestyle are so different from western countries. It's probably difficult to get foreigners to want to come there, and to stay more than a year or two.

Many people are not happy because a lot of the foreign teachers aren't fully qualified, but if they have high degrees, they can make so much money in their own country, why would they come to China unless they love China? It's difficult..... I think maybe China could hire people not based on qualifications, just based on their pronunciation - not to be teachers, but just for speaking, to work WITH chinese teachers, having conversations with the students. Still, that would require paying them well, and would require patient foreigners with good speaking skills.

I think student exchanges are a good idea. Foreign college students could come to China for a working-vacation. They could learn about China, see sights, being taken around by chinese students around the same age. They could agree to each do maybe 2-3 classes a day in a chinese school, just talking with students. They could all talk together while visiting sites, an intense 2 weeks of English-only for the chinese students, and some chinese cultural education for the foreigners.
Then later the chinese student could go to the UK, US, AUS, etc and be in an english speaking country for two weeks (or whatever, maybe the summer)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-7 12:42:06 |Display all floors
Thank you for excellent reply,I understand it completely,but I think it is difficult to havea chance to speak to a native speaker,the only way we can do is learning the tapes or CDs,but it is too dull to do that,so many people can not insist in longe time without practical purpose,this is very different to talk with a native speaker.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-8 00:08:03 |Display all floors
this is very different to talk with a native speaker.

-------------i can't believe no native people talk with you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-8 18:34:30 |Display all floors

learned english

there are many ways to learned english. read many english book. read it slowly, sylable by sylable and read
it aloud. do not read it fast, just slowly then after many years, decade you will find you can read and talk in
english.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-8 22:05:46 |Display all floors

English

Reyquer - you are riight but how would you know how to pronounce the words, etc. Audio lessons is no substitute.

Opengl - so right yet so wrong. Right because if you do not understand them & neither do they understand you, it's like a hen & a duck communicating. Wrong because you just might meet some kind souls or eager to exchange language. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. What have you done to be in a English-speaking environment?

Freakyqi - you seem to believe the best way to learn English is via native speakers. Why? Doesn't people from Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, India, Thailand speak good English without resorting to the native (Caucasian) slang? You still can be great in English without losing your national identity. Must we slang like the native speakers (to be good in English)? To them it is their identity. So it seems you believe that slanging is a part of the English language?! Zhu Rongji & Lee Kuan Yew, educated in US & UK respectiovely, speak excellant English with their Chinese accents, Both are well-regarded worldwide. I don't think they will be respected if they were to slang their English. Learning Chinese from the Chinese is NOT necesssary, 100% correct....just because they speak so fluently, flowery & beautifully.......like what I heard many people said about the lao wai's English. Must be first-class......then why are they here???

Tks/Rgds
eho

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-9 00:17:21 |Display all floors
Originally posted by a__lucky_boy at 2006-8-6 22:50
"English is easy to learn,Chinese is hard to learn",I Know many people say that ,but the fact is that many Chinese study English even from preliminary school and when they graduate from U ...

they just lack necessary training in terms of listening comprehension and oral skills...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.