Views: 25282|Replies: 94

Taiwan: Stop Trading with China [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-1-7 01:43:13 |Display all floors
Taiwan should stop trading with China, if it truly wants to be independent of China.  Don’t just support independence when it is convenient, and still be so dependent on trade with China.  That dependency reduces Taiwan’s leverage.  

This pathetic reliance reminds me of the child who wants independence from the parents.  But in reality, the child desires the benefits of independence, but not the responsibilities of independence.  That pretty much sums up Taiwan, as it too, cannot handle the responsibilities of independence, since it will not stop trading with China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-7 03:02:54 |Display all floors

By your logic no country in the world is independent

If you're going to take trade with China as an example of how Taiwan is not independent, then the USA is not independent as it relies on foreign trade. And China is not independent because it also relies on foreign trade.

If you haven't noticed, we live in an era of global business and interaction - there is no country in the world that can do without international trade. So by your logic we are all dependent on each other. But that does not mean Taiwan has to politically unify with the mainland.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-7 03:23:26 |Display all floors
mencius:

You misunderstood my point again!  Not surprising.  China doesn’t need Taiwan economically.  Taiwan needs China, or did you forget 1999-2000?   

Interesting how Taiwan wants the benefits of independence, but not the full responsibilities.  As I wrote before, independence is not free, and do come with additional responsibilities and accountabilities.  As long as Taiwan is dependent on China (trade and finance), it weakens its leverage for true independence.  So put your actions where your rhetoric is, and cut the trade.   

As far as your other examples, it’s not appropriate since those countries did not say it desired independence.

So you see mencius, yet another prime example of how practical real world money decisions trump political ideology, as Taiwan, must tuck tail and trade with China to save its economy.   If you don't think so, then you should push for Taiwan to cut trade and let your actions speak, rather than your idealistic rhetoric.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-7 04:58:23 |Display all floors

raymond

You really are weird. That Taiwan relies on China for trade is undeniable. But so what? I have never heard of anyone say that a country cannot be independent because it relies on a neighbouring country for trade. Nor have I heard of someone say that a country had to refuse to trade with another if it wanted independence.

China doesn't "need" Taiwan because it is such a large market. But China benefits from any trade transactions. The parent-child example is completely inappropriate because a child normally gets support for free. Taiwan provides China with goods and services that it needs - the mainland has a large trade deficit with Taiwan, showing that it certainly gets something out of the status quo.

If China asserts that Taiwan must come back into the fold then IT should stop trading with Taiwan. However if it continues to trade with Taiwan then it is acknowledging that it is a mature country, capable of making its own decisions.

[ Last edited by mencius at 2006-1-6 09:08 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-7 08:04:50 |Display all floors
mencius:

I never wrote that China didn't benefit from trading with Taiwan, but it certainly doesn't need it.  Benefiting from something and needing something is two different things.  Better pay attention to Taiwan’s finance minister!  

If independence is supposes to be so great for Taiwan, why did CSB need to assure the market when it dropped, that he wasn’t pushing for independence?  What exactly is this confidence you are speaking of, when the market doesn’t share your confidence?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-7 08:33:30 |Display all floors
Originally posted by raymondusa at 2006-1-7 00:04
If independence is supposes to be so great for Taiwan, why did CSB need to assure the market when it dropped, that he wasn’t pushing for independence?  What exactly is this confidence you are speaking of, when the market doesn’t share your confidence?

I'm not exactly sure what you're saying. Taiwan is already effectively independent. Chen has said that he wouldn't declare formal independence because he doesn't want to worry the business community about potential fall-out from China.

But this isn't what you were saying. You were saying that Taiwan would have to stop trading with the mainland to "prove" itself. I was pointing out that it was a daft suggestion. Taiwan will always trade with the mainland, whether the status quo is maintained or there is formal unification/independence. To suggest otherwise is daft.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-7 08:46:37 |Display all floors
mencius: So the market doesn't share your confidence!  Now you understand leverage since CSB and Taiwan must worry about China.   So much for all this talk about declaring formal independence, since the market is practical and realistic enough to worry!   The little boy wants formal independence but cannot handle the responsibilities.  What a pathetic shame!

Effective independence?   ROTFLMAO

Is that like kinda, sort of, potentially, maybe, perhaps, effectively free?   

Don't you just love this watered down language reduced to qualifications?

[ Last edited by raymondusa at 2006-1-6 04:58 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.