Author: tumujerome

"Chinglish" among Top Ten Words 2005  [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-12-25 07:29:34 |Display all floors

Speak Chinglish so we know it's you.

Anyone who speaks perfect English, either American English or British Engilsh, is so accultured to the west that their originality is diminished.  How can we learn about China from someone who is so well practiced in English?  

I know better English will benefit you more, as you know too.  But Chinglish is sometimes an indicator of an exporter who doesn't know the actual mark-up retailers in the USA are making on their goods!  As a business person, would you rather negotiate with somene who knows your margin, or someone who knows -- or pretends to know -- only Chinglish.  That's why I won't represent a Chinese company.  Americans don't look for China deals from other Americans.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-27 20:46:33 |Display all floors

Bushism:

A remark by G.W Bush, usually in very bad grammar and misleading. There is a
website devoted to trying to explain the idiotic and illiterate remarks  of G W  Bush

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/blbushisms.htm

Example:  "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?"  G.W Bush

This post is to reassure those who are learning English. The president
of the United States of America would probably fail your first year exam.

[ Last edited by christopher_104 at 2005-12-27 09:36 PM ]
image_bushisms_election_small[1].jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-27 22:57:38 |Display all floors
Originally posted by matt605 at 2005-12-25 07:29
Anyone who speaks perfect English, either American English or British Engilsh, is so accultured to the west that their originality is diminished.   

Really? What did you mean by "originality"? Identity?

No matter what, we should not encourage learners of English to aim at a mastery of lopsided English or Chinglish. IMO, that a perfect command of English would cost the learner's identity/originality is as much a myth as that every learner of English could achieve perfection.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-27 23:14:45 |Display all floors
Originally posted by christopher_104 at 2005-12-27 20:46
A remark by G.W Bush, usually in very bad grammar and misleading. There is a
website devoted to trying to explain the idiotic and illiterate remarks  of G W  Bush

[url]http://politicalhumor.ab ...

Thanks for sharing the political joke site. It confirms once again the universal truth that even native speakers make errors. There are native speakers and native speakers, be they English, American, or Chinese.  Let us not try to justify the legitimacy of erroneous language variety like Chinglish, though, simply on the ground that the U.S. President also blundered.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-28 03:00:13 |Display all floors
christopher just looks around for opportunities to slag the President or Jews.
A list of his mistakes: grammar, spelling and claims, would not be a short list.

pot, kettle, black.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-29 23:50:34 |Display all floors

my view

As ESOL,I don't really think someday I can make English as good as Chinese.I have no clear idea on the time length of these two languages,Culture and regional differences make the languages never be exactly equivalent to each other.Even inside British,for instance.That's why they have synonym .Simply put it ,language's a tool. Chinglish,to some extent,personally can be taken as tool for the non-chinese speaker in China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-30 12:08:44 |Display all floors
Nomatter Chinglish or English, they are both human language. Someone knows it, so someone uses it. Chinese do not have only one origin. Chinese is a compositive language.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.