Author: aliceliping

There is no foreigner at here,have you seen one??? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-11-30 07:39:25 |Display all floors

PS from america...

About the "cracker/redneck" thing:

Redneck refers to a certain kind of American, usually living in rural America. It can definitely be offensive, but on the other hand, there are self-proclaimed rednecks that are now famous for joking about themselves. There are lots of redneck jokes going around.
"You might be a redneck if..."
"...you can't visit relatives without getting mud on your tires."
"...there’s graffiti on the bathroom wall in your own house."
"...your primary income involves pigs or manure."

Cracker can also be offensive. It depends on who's saying it to whom. If a black person gives me a certain look and calls me that, he means something very different than my old white friend who says it with a laugh.

Also, the "n*****" word that is offensive to black people is similar. Some people will get violently offended, but among younger black people, they sometimes call each other that and use it in music. But if I were to call them that very same word they just used, and say it in a certain way, I'd better have my running shoes on.

I don't get it. So I think it's better to play it safe unless you really know the person well, which isn't possible on a forum like this.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-1 05:21:44 |Display all floors

yea...

yea.... i spent a class period in history talking about those kinds of stuff. it comes down to the tone of the speaker as well as who the receiver is. what can i say... i call every school friend by a racist term. i call my white friends by the N word as well as beaners. i dont really need to be cautious about saying those things here... its online...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.