Author: lasy2004

the difference between the chinese and american's attitude to their life [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-4-26 22:17:25 |Display all floors

The welfare system

The US and most developed countries have very good welfare systems. This means that the state will take care of them if they get ill and when they become old.

The lack of a comprehensive welfare system in China means that most Chinese people simply cannot live their lives in the same way as someone in a western country can. If they spend their money on luxury items and they get ill/lose their jobs then who will take care of them? Can they be assured of assistance from the state? No they can't, so they must live more frugal lives and work, plan, and save more carefully for their future.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-5-2 13:15:42 |Display all floors

Reality Check

Hey I'm American and most the people I know have 401 K savings programs that  are a private investment that our companies also match.  Most of us are worried about taking care of our kids, saving enough money to help them through college and making a living and do not  over spend.  Not sure where all this mis information comes from

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-5-2 22:39:58 |Display all floors

American Welfare System

Just a clarification on the so called American Welfare system (I.E Social Security) .....   Its just about bankrupt and my Americans are not counting on Social Security to take care of us when we retire.  The system is paid for by working people and because our demographics are for an older population overall,  we will have less younger people paying into the system.  We are moving towards more private investments like 401K's and company stock programs in America because when the state controls us they almost always screw it up!   There is a drive to take some of the Social Security program and allow Americans to choose private investments for these funds. This is the only way that I believe the program can work fo the future because if it stays on the same course,  the program will go bankrupt.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-5-3 23:52:14 |Display all floors

difference lies in the culture

though Mikeghet said it's sth about the bank infrastructure more than some kind of trdition,in my opinion,chinese values that root in the eastern culture is what counts most.
taking japanese as a e.g,they have better bank systems than we do,still,the save rate,i mean,the percentage of their deposit in their total income, is still very high,so is it in most asian countries.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-5-26 10:50:43 |Display all floors

Obvious !

The reason is obvious.  It is because of the social security system. Chinese people don't have the benefits and safeguarding of the social welfares, and it is impossible  for ordinary famlies to get loans so they have to save money for their children's education and for the rainy days. Do you know that the doctors in the state-run hospitals refuse to treat the badly injured people from car accidents or those seriously ill just because they don't have enough money?

So if you don't save money in China, you will not live a happy life. But I guess it is just the opposite in the US: if you save money you won't live a happy life.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-6-1 13:42:26 |Display all floors

different view

we do enjoy our  life, and also save money for our son.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-6-1 16:50:19 |Display all floors

something is changing

people in china are richer and richer.some citizens tend to traveling.and saving money is out of fashion.don't you realize investment is very hot,i mean very popular, recently?especially the stock market and real estate.in my opinion,chinese people's concept is changing and becoming more open.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.