Views: 5079|Replies: 12

Learning Chinese a Must? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-9-6 02:11:22 |Display all floors
Would you say that foreigners in Guangzhou or China as a whole need to learn Chinese (mandarin/cantonese)? If so, would a ""lao wai" be able to pick it up within 12 months of intensive study (Zhongshan university for instance)? Love to hear what you all have to say about this.

Arnoud

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-9-6 10:09:41 |Display all floors

Sure!

If you are going to stay here in China for a long time, say one or two years or even longer, then you have to learn Chinese. By  doing so, you could have a better understanding of Chinese cultures, and have more Chinese friends, which will make you less lonely here.

I can say 12 months is enough to learn a foreign language. But what you need to know is that, study a little everyday, not two hours some day. You could try to practise Chinese in your daily life. We Chinese people are quite happy to help foreigners learning Chinese.

Good luck!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-9-6 14:43:31 |Display all floors

Ola

Thanks for your reply "lah". I don't believe it's that hard to make Chinese friends without be able to speak "Chinese". Most youngsters do love to practice their English in fact, but I agree with you that it's still better for cultural understanding. You simply get passed certain barriers when you speak the main language. How long did it take you "babina"" (sorry if i misspelled it, you have a hard name) to learn your languages?

Arnoud

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-9-6 15:50:47 |Display all floors

It's bauhinia, hehe...

Hi Arnoud,

I'm a Beijingner. While I am based in Beijing, I have to travel frequently on business, mostly to other parts of China, Hong Kong and Southeast Asia countries. I like Hong Kong very much, and "bauhinia" is the city flower of Hong Kong. Hence my name...

I've been studying English for years. Now I work for an American company. By learning their language, not only can I communicate with them freely, but also understand the way how Americans think, thus feel less frustrated when facing the culture shock.  For example, Americans believe "guilty until proven innocent", which is the opposite to what we Chinese think.

So I strongly recommend you to learn some Chinese if you are not just a tourist here for one or two months.

michelle

P.S. I've already visited Arnoudforyou.com, and I thought it was interesting.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-9-6 18:02:54 |Display all floors

guilty until proved to be innocent??

that's not what we were told in legal english class~???

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-9-6 20:01:12 |Display all floors

"guilty until jproved innocent" is not an american product

" You don't have to talk, but what you say now will service as evidence in the court." This is what the police say to the criminals they capture in Hong kong TV series and movies.  I've heard it thousands of times. That's a notorious line. It sounds like, "You are a criminal until you are proved innocent. So mind your words," doesn't it?  

However, my in English class, I learned that the Americans belive "innocent until proved quilty.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-9-6 22:49:27 |Display all floors

Pay off

Would an intensive study program (2 semesters) also pay off on the business level (we all need to make ends meet right) ? Any comments on that? I know that it does for Chinese that speak very amazing English, but how about the foreigners that learn Mandarin etc...is it the same?

Arnoud

ps. if you are into tennis Michelle, we should play sometime when you are in Gz.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.