Views: 3091|Replies: 4

African Americans are the "smart" soldiers in u.s. military [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-6-3 12:17:48 |Display all floors
I was browsing the Black American Web and I thought it was interesting to learn that African Americans are using their heads and not their muscles in the U.S. military.

African Americans are mostly non combat personnel in the U.S. military because they want to help develop their careers when they get out of the military. That is a real smart choice and is much better than signing up for combat roles.  They can avoid the majority of the death and violence and give themselves a good opportunity that they need since we all know there is prejudice in the U.S.  It makes me wonder what kind of people sign up to be combat troups?

Below is a sample.

*****************************************************************************************
In the two years since the March 20, 2003, pre-dawn invasion of Iraq launched by President George W. Bush to topple the regime of Saddam Hussein, 163 black men and women have died in the conflict.

That number represents about 11 percent of the military war deaths through Jan 26, 2005, according to figures released by the Department of Defense. Of the blacks who died in the war, 132 were in the Army, 24 in the Marines, three in the Air Force and 4 in the Navy.

As of Friday, more than 1,500 Americans had been killed in Iraq.

Though blacks make up about 30 percent of the military, the percentage of deaths has been less because of their job placement, said David Segal, director of the University of Maryland's Center for Research on Military Organization.

"Blacks are attracted to military jobs that have transfer value to the civilian economy when they leave the military. Enlisting in the infantry doesn't do that for you," Segal told BlackAmericaWeb.com.

"Historically, blacks have been over represented in the military, but not in the combat arms," Segal said. "A larger percentage of blacks work in administrative jobs, logistical services or medical fields."

According to data from the U.S. Department of Defense, 41 percent of blacks in the military work in technical jobs, 47 percent are in administrative jobs and 12 percent are in combat.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-3 20:32:35 |Display all floors

Ohhh my...

Yes. That is the only reason to join the Army, get a trade or profession that allows you to make headway after your tour. Very few blacks have any wish to be a career soldier.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-6 03:22:35 |Display all floors

So what!

I think this article shows that blacks are expected to be dying in larger numbers...and the whites are surpised they aint!!

Does it matter if the soldier is black, white or yellow??
The only reason to mention the color is because the writers or audience believes"...yes, it matters and theyre not enough dying!"

They could mention  how many Texans, or Californians or something else....and see how that state would feel theyre being blamed for lack of contribution!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-7 01:27:15 |Display all floors

human shields

Mexicans and other Latinamericans are recruited for combat in exchange for a promise to get the green card. This is what I would call human shields.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-9 21:27:09 |Display all floors

Your`e right carrie......

..........and when those guys get killed or maimed the Govt does not have to report it as they are not actually US soldiers.

Don`t anyone believe the casualty figures that the US Govt gives out.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.