see and assess the suitability of a prospective mate or son/daughter-in-law

or:
meeting the prospective mate

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-3-20 03:08:24 |Display all floors

Matrimonial appraisal, perhaps??

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-3-20 04:25:00 |Display all floors

How abut " look over a prospective bride"?

红楼梦

第一一八回  记微嫌舅兄欺弱女 惊谜语妻妾谏痴人

... 只见有两个宫人打扮的,见了巧姐便浑身上下一看,更又起身来拉着巧姐的手又瞧了一遍, 略坐了一坐就走了.倒把巧姐看得羞臊,回到房中纳闷,想来没有这门亲戚,便问平儿.平儿先看见来头,却也猜着八九必是相亲的.

Chapter 118
A Disgruntled Uncle and Cousin Delude a Helpless Girl
Alarmed by His Cryptic Talk, Wife and Concubine Reprove Their Witless Husband

... She saw these two visitors dressed like ladies-in-waiting look Chiao-chieh over from head to foot, after which they got up and took her hand to examine her once more; then after sitting a little longer they left. Chiao-chieh, most embarrassed by this crutiny, went back to her room very puzzled and, not having heard of these relatives before, asked Pin-erh who they were.
Ping-erh had more or less guessed from their behaviour that they were looking over a prospective bride; ....

Translated by Yang Hsien-Yi and Gladys Yang

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-3-20 05:40:46 |Display all floors

To edward_lee

I wonder if you realise the difference in meaning between "look over a prospective bride" and "look a prospective bride over"?
Before you answer, I would like you to read the following two phrases:-

a) look the mountain over
b) look over the mountain

Do (a) and (b) mean the same to you, may I ask?

By the way, I don't give a hoot what Yang Hsien-Yi and Gladys Yang translated because anyone can make a mistake including them!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-3-20 09:55:17 |Display all floors

To Checkpoint:

Fancy you considered Gladys'  "look over a prospective bride" for 相亲 a mistake. Could you elaborate why?

Also, apparently you believe that there is a difference in meaning (in the context specified above) between "look over a prospective bride" and "look a prospective bride over" ? Could you explain the difference yourself first rather than otherwise?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.