Author: robinhood

what do you find the most stupid things in China? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-7-31 08:30:29 |Display all floors

The most stupid thing for a while was ME!

I got lost for 12 hours and it was one of the most memorable wonderful experiences of my life. But getting lost under the circumstances that I did was really STUPID! Yes, it was me.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-8-10 10:21:55 |Display all floors

The rampant and open display of corruption

Too many rules and regulations to be issued and enforced by policymakers creates a class of corrupt and arrogant officials that bully their own countrymen and endanger their lives by diverting funds and thus leaving little left for infrastructure and safety. A hindrance to growth and an embarrasment to the central government officials that truly want the best for their country. I met many well mannered, well disciplined officials and always wonder what they would think if they see their colleagues driving in their expensive cars and living the high life in their villas.

For China the most important thing is to deal with these classes of derailed officials and get a Swat team up and running. Unfortunately the Swat team is likely to derail as well whilst being offered gifts for not revealing their findings.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-8-10 10:55:13 |Display all floors

Face concept

People will tell you lies here all the time, and think nothing of it. This does not only include mainland chinese. Sometimes the reason they lie is in case you lose face.  If you criticise anything here or any person, even constructive criticism, they will always take it personally and hate you for it.

Unless people learn what their mistakes are they will go around in circles forever. If you have to work with Chinese this can make things a major pain in the *ss.

This is why asians work longer hours, becuase of all the time they have to spend giving face and saving face and doing a song and a dnc with a 'maybe please maybe' to get the simplest thing done. Then it is not organised effectively (in case someone taking charge causes others to lose face). It takes 15 people six months to do what it should take two people 3 weeks.

While this face thing can be very nice in the sense of showing respect, please wake up and see that it is just a load of fake bullsh*t. You will never advance to be any kind of an equal with the west in international trade and business until you lose this mentality.

Maybe you shouldn't talk about or think about this too much though, you might lose face.... maybe just pretend you never read it and go back to your happy bubble of the workers paradise where nothing is ever wrong....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-8-21 23:50:25 |Display all floors

buying under-sized sports shoes

I don't think it is the most stupid, but it is interesting to watch chinese ladies at a sports shoes shop.

This lady insists on a pair of running shoes that are too small. I asked her to insert two fingers into the shoe, because where I come from, that's the rule of thumb: if you can put two fingers in the shoe while wearing it, then it fits about right.

But in the end she bought the smaller pair, saying "the other make her feet look big". And her feet were NOT large.

I later asked the sales person, who said it is not uncommon for people to buy smaller shoes.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-8-22 11:06:54 |Display all floors

if you come to china you will see the real condition of china

we should trust our eyes not just books and others.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-9-12 21:20:58 |Display all floors

what do you find the most stupid things in China?

I was in HK two years ago and took a taxi, I found some strange words on the door and the driver told me that's Braille for the blinds who will take a cab,the words are about the taxi's number etc., but the driver told me this was very stupid because there  is hardly blinds take taxi ,the government cost too much money for it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-9-12 22:06:51 |Display all floors

what do you find the most stupid things in China?

For me ,the population policy in 1950 is the most stupid.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.