Views: 15939|Replies: 35

a xi'an bar posts a sign outside: "JAPANESE FORBID ENTERING" [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-12-12 10:51:09 |Display all floors
i read about this in a blog (http://www.metanoiac.com) from a guy who teaches english in xi'an.  

this is called XENOPHOBIA, guys.  and it's not good, no matter what your reasons are.  

ts
2004121210512efa.jpg

Use magic tools Report

rovi297 has been deleted
Post time 2004-12-13 08:19:43 |Display all floors

I am with you on this issue. please remove the sign board at once.

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-12-13 09:03:33 |Display all floors

damn

that is not gonna be good for anybody

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-12-13 20:51:06 |Display all floors

Yep

It's not acceptable. People have complained at seeing anti-Chinese posters in Japan, so they can't argue in favour of this.

Take it down. Racism is racism.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-12-14 12:42:49 |Display all floors

Do you have a day job?

[tsupasat]

You are like a little terrier who sniffs around and find all manner of sensational pieces of trivia and present them for our entertainment. You are a gem. From the amount of postings you put up each day, me think you must spend the bulk of your day at the computer doing just this.
I have also noticed that your items often carry some odium against the Chinese. I must be paranoid, no it can't be. Such a scholar like you being a bigot, certainly not. Just me thinking out loud.

The sign is racist and must be condemned. You must however tell us a little bit more about it. Who is the author ? What is the backgorund? Could it be a party joke? Could it be someone who has had close relatives tortured and killed by the Japanese?  It is not against the law to with hold services or the sale of goods to anyone you choose not to. The customer can lodge a complaint and go on from there.

confucius say " watch out for the ever yapping and barking dog, it can be a joke or a nuisance."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-12-15 00:33:28 |Display all floors

re: mencius/mengzhi

do i have a day job?  

conventional forum wisdom is that this IS my day job; several forumites put one and one together and figured i am a u.s. government agent here to subvert and split china.  

seriously, though ... i have job that requires me to be online all the time browsing the news.  i find lots of stuff that's interesting (from my point of view) and like to share it.  

about the xi'an sign.  if you check out the blog i referenced, you'll see the storefront it was posted on as well as the context.  it was posted at the front of xi'an bar that sits on that city's main drag.  the bar also has a chinese flag draped from its sign, which reads "true colors" when translated into english.  not a bar i'd be keen on entering regardless of my nationality.

ts

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-12-16 09:38:05 |Display all floors

Another one in SZ

It's called 大灰狼 (big grey wolf) on Huafu Road. It's a very popular restaurant among young people in the city with tasty food and tasteful decoration. The food is northwest style and the restaurant looks more like a hut or a stylish bar. And the names of those dishes or drinks there are quite interesting, e.g. 心太软(softhearted),铁汉柔情(tough guys with tender feelings),狼尿(urine of wolves),狼奶(milk of wolves).

I guess one reason they post that sign is that they can attract more Chinese that way. And really it does.  But it would be better if they could learn from Japanese to grab money  by speading goods and services.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.