Views: 32312|Replies: 10

Viral video of elderly HK woman removing barricades inspires netizens [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2019-10-9 15:49:55 |Display all floors
(Global Times) A video of an elderly woman in Hong Kong criticizing black-clad rioters for blocking roads and disrupting public transportation while removing barricades with her hands has gone viral online.
截图_20191009154757.jpg

Chinese netizens said they were moved by the elderly woman's integrity,  which was in sharp contrast to the young protesters who have since abandoned the core values of Hong Kong.  

During Saturday's illegal demonstrations, rioters barricaded roads using  trash cans, bricks, and other debris that shut down a major downtown street.

The 70-year-old woman, wearing a white shirt, removed the barricades amid threats from the rioters.

Attacking Hong Kong residents who oppose the illegal demonstrations have become common occurrences.

Rioters attacked a banker who said, "We are all Chinese." In a separate incident, a taxi driver was attacked while trying to pass through a street the protesters had blocked.

In the video, the woman asks, "You, so many people, you don't do something good!," and later said, "What are the benefits of paralyzing the traffic and blocking the roads?"  

In response, protesters aimed laser pointers at the woman's eyes. When besieged by the rioters, she said, "I know you want to beat me to death, then, beat me to death! You have lost your mind!"

At one point while she was removing the street barricades, she tried to reason with the protestors.

"I know my own power is not sufficient. You guys are grown men! You are in your 20s. I know I can't do anything to you, but I still have to do the right thing!" she said.

The woman asked the reporters who were filming her, "You should ask them, 'why do you throw bricks?' That should be your consciousness!"

Hong Kong has suffered from violent attacks and riot activities that have blocked traffic and thrown the city into a state of chaos.

"There are always ordinary Hongkongers who want to safeguard this place they call home," one netizen commented, referring to the elderly woman whose actions have provided light after a dark weekend marred by a city-wide rampage.  

"Young rioters are now bullying elderly people, where are their morals and bottom-line?" another netizen asked.

The video went viral on Weibo, and since Monday night has received over 61 million views as of press time.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-10-10 13:25:42 |Display all floors
Brave old woman. If the silent majority can gather up and stand up to this pro-democracy mobsters, it will bring a quick end to this carnage.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-10-10 16:47:53 |Display all floors
huaqiao Post time: 2019-10-10 13:25
Brave old woman. If the silent majority can gather up and stand up to this pro-democracy mobsters, i ...

Some people are born with a strong personality...
Self-confident people have an advantage over those being led and paid 4 by foreigners..
   Strong-willed people inspire others and take control of situations; therefore self-confident people are proud of themselves.
   Could anyone in this wide world of ours look up at people destroying transportation hubs and beat knocked out Hong Kong people with iron bars etc with the so called media taking pictures...

Seemingly, young women are the most freaked up one...
    The other day, my wife asked me what kind of drugs them people being administrated>>>
  I couldn't tell her the truths, because she too is religious...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-10-11 06:16:16 |Display all floors
emanreus Post time: 2019-10-10 16:47
Self-confident people have an advantage over t ...

"Could anyone in this wide world of ours look up at people destroying transportation hubs and beat knocked out Hong Kong people with iron bars etc with the so called media taking pictures..."

Well it looks as though nobody in HK is doing anything to effectively stop them.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-10-11 11:23:41 |Display all floors
Under normal circumstances, such deed would not warrant a mention, but because HK has gone down the gutters, with so much violence and destruction and vandalism, or so long, with no end in sight, a small deed like this seems so thoughtful.  It goes to show how much HK life has deteriorated!  What a pity, this once prosperous and safe city has gone to the dogs!  Hope the SAR Govt act fast to bring back law n order, make HK safe for locals and visitors!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-10-11 11:29:44 |Display all floors
Newtown Post time: 2019-10-11 06:16
"Could anyone in this wide world of ours look up at people destroying transportation hubs and bea ...

"Well it looks as though nobody in HK is doing anything to effectively stop them. "

HK SAR Govt under C Lam is a lameduck;  after months of rioting and destruction and disruption of MTR train services, such a basic transport service,  they don't seem to be anywhere near a solution!  They are helpless, just coming out again and again with condemnation, but no solution!  If this had happened on the Mainland, it would have been solved ages ago!   The Mainland System is by far the better of the  two, under the 'One Country Two Systems'!  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-10-11 13:01:41 |Display all floors
emanreus Post time: 2019-10-10 16:47
Self-confident people have an advantage over t ...
I couldn't tell her the truths, because she too is religious...

I think religion is good. But the problem is that some leaders are misguiding the people. That is the problem. People must know how to go to the true source for guidance and not blindly rely on religious leaders. I have read reports that some church members have resorted to block the police from carrying out their duties while singing praises to God. That is abetting a crime. That is indirectly supporting the carnage meted out by these pro-democracy mobsters. Do they think that is good?!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.