Author: ceciliazhang

Chinese elementary school cancels math class for first and second graders [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-12-2 19:54:55 |Display all floors
Wrong, modify the lessons.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-12-2 20:11:26 |Display all floors
This is a good test on schooling which news let us feel fresh and hopeful for china education future! We need more exploring work for the real development of Chinese education theory!
Once a time I asked a maths teacher:“What is mathematics?”’ She repled with laughing:'Certainly it is science study on numbers?"  
I also laughed at her:“You are wrong! Maths is a subject on numbers and shapes! We can not talk about empty numbers without shapes!”
In china too many maths teachers do teaching job with little practice who always go from formula to numbers whose description is far from reality!
All of our writings should go with zero error!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-12-2 21:47:42 |Display all floors
The most harmful aspect is that of Olympiad Mathematics. Elementary students would by all means pay to attend even if they learn nothing!
Just discovered that some materials were simplified version for mathematical transformation content. By the time, the student attends university courses, the approach would be entirely different. So, they relearn from scratch!
So, what reason is for learning the same material twice! Once, when one is too younger and then when one is in the university. Majority of the students do not like mathematics in college course!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-12-3 10:38:56 |Display all floors
wchao37 Post time: 2018-12-2 17:07
Not true.

Chinese children had always cherished math learning in ancient times.

It is true we do have some talents of maths in history, but in general no men of letters care about maths and the royal exams for recruiting g-o-v off-i-cials do not have the subject of maths at all.

Most of achievements done in anceint times are made with past good experience passed dwon from generation to generation, and that can hardly be counted as maths.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-12-3 15:02:32 |Display all floors
JimSlip Post time: 2018-12-3 10:38
It is true we do have some talents of maths in history, but in general no men of letters care abou ...

We aren't covering the whole spectrum of "ancient China" in this brief talk.

Imperial examination dating from Sui Wen Di of the Sui Dynasty (which invented the system of examination known as the Ke Ju) was not meant to evaluate overall capabilities -- it was only meant to see who was best at governing, and that kind of examination lasted almost fifteen centuries and greatly influenced the civil service examination system of England in the 15th century.

Viewed in this light, the present introduction of the Chinese system of math teaching is nothing new because from the 15th century onward England had begun borrowing from Chinese sources for educational purposes.

Qualification testing was not limited to Imperial Examination in ancient China.  I can quote more than 1500 sources about math education in ancient China.  There is much discussion these days of whether math itself was invented in China.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_mathematics

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-12-3 15:07:01 |Display all floors
It is true we do have some talents of maths in history, but in general no men of letters care abou ...

To learn more about the official curriculum for math education in ancient China, I also suggest you read the following article as an introduction to more than a thousand sources on this topic:

https://www.worldscientific.com/doi/abs/10.1142/9789812562241_0006

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-12-3 15:13:38 |Display all floors

I enclosed two links to official curriculum for math education in ancient China but both are in the filters, so I am here to make a shorthand for the link:

worldscientific dot c o m/doi/abs/10.1142/9789812562241_0006

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.