Author: ceciliazhang

Resume of five-year-old goes viral in China [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Popular Member

Post time 2018-11-8 14:31:45 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2018-11-8 12:53

if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-11-10 16:12:44 |Display all floors
This post was edited by wchao37 at 2018-11-11 17:16
emanreus Post time: 2018-11-6 15:13
re:  "Maybe CGTN should have a program called "All Chinese Should Be English Savvy by Age Five."

The examples you have invoked here are factual and they do reflect what parcher has labeled in post #21 as supporting the phenomenon of "the new kid on the block."

Naturally I am aware of these facts and the attention Mandarin as the "new kid" has attracted from around the world, but my feeling is that the two situations are fundamentally dissimilar, and the key difference here is PRIORITIZATION.

Every person on earth has 24 hours at his/her disposal, and this five-year old is certainly no exception.

His parents are presented here as executives of a waiqi-- American-owned Ford Motor Company in Shanghai -- who presumably as BUSY individuals don't have much time tutoring the son themselves.

So it is reasonable to assume that the task of aligning their son to the Extreme Schedule has befallen upon someone else, and whoever is responsible for teaching the son English is not just reading selected paragraphs from the book to him, since we are told here that this is the kid's "English reading list" and not his "read-to list," but is also making sure that the kid actually reads and understands the content of the 500 books.

And that's just a small part of the five-year old kid's recorded 'achievements.'

If that's not a tall order, what is?

Even if we take a thousand steps backwards and believe the parents' claim, we'll still note that the braggadocio on the 'reading list' doesn't include any books in Chinese, and therein lies the problem -- the parents are not teaching their child to take more than a lukewarm attitude towards Chinese studies.

On the other hand, the examples you have invoked about the other kids do not allude to the prioritization of their studies.  Yes, Ivanka's daughter and the British royalty's kids are being taught Chinese, but these are normal after-school activities of children whose parents happen to be in a position to see where the world is heading, and that's why the element of surprise is non-existent.  The main emphasis on their education is still in their own mother language -- English.

The problem with this 5-year old child's parents is that they are not giving their son the proper linguistic orientation during his earliest formative years as far as language development is concerned, and since language is the primary carrier of one's cultural heritage, it seems that they have failed their son in this respect.

For those that read Chinese, please note how the parents advertise themselves by self-aggrandizement -- their jobs/titles/positions, how great the parents are, etc.  So this whole thing is likely to be nothing more than a blatant attempt to attract invariably curious customers to the Ford Dealership to look at its gas-gustlers.

That's also why I asked if this is an atypical case, or if Shanghai has allowed itself to be contaminated by the ill winds from Hongkong and Taiwan to a point of no return -- now that there is little if any barrier to cultural exchange amongst the three Chinese communities.

If you ask me, I would tell you that flowers that open early do not blossom.  

This is because the child's natural inclination to learn is unlike that of a mechanical robot.  You can't force a child to forego his playing activities and expect him to optimally develop his mind at his most vulnerable developmental stage.  

Life-spanning high academic achievers are always those who have an unquenchable thirst to study at their own initiative, at their own pace and according to their own needs at specific moments of their lives.

By enforcing strict discipline upon a 5-year old child to 'read 500 books a year' in a foreign language is a criminal offense punishable for child abuse by being locked up in a Shanghai penitentiary instead of being allowed to woo credulous customers by false advertisement into their Ford Dealership showroom.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 7 DayEarlier |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2018-11-6 12:19
"Is this the prevailing mindset of this generation of young parents or is it quite atypical?"

This ...

Spending a fortune to have an edge over their neighbor's kid doesn't worry me, but the trend that they are actually using their kids to advertise themselves is very worrisome.  

If these parents become trendsetters they should be ashamed of themselves to have this motivation in the first place.  

Although cutthroat competition exists in the adult world, kids should be allowed to develop their imaginative minds through playing activities, and priority-setting should remain the most important skill for parents to master.  

Use magic tools Report

parcher Post time: 2018-11-8 12:32
Anybody that sends me a 15 page resume will get dumped in the bin...
Do you think employers have the ...

I realize where you are coming from.

The way I see about this particular one is that it is not really a resume, but an advertisement for the parents themselves.

"Come into the Ford showroom and ask me about my kid and I'll tell you everything else," and that's their pitch.  

I don't know how much Chinese you can read but the parents are putting in a lot of crap advertising themselves supposedly through the 'words' of a 5-year old.

Use magic tools Report

pnp Post time: 2018-11-8 12:31
CGTN's local anchors are very rude, they think nothing of interrupting their guest speakers right  ...

Anchors differ in their styles and emphasis.  

Maybe you are witnessing the behavior of one particular anchor who might not have undergone rigorous training when he started in the business years ago.

Many of the interviewees aren't too competent in the art of communication.

They wouldn't have qualified even in their capacity as interviewees representing academic institutions like the Academy of Social Sciences because their oral communication skills aren't up to par.

So despite the fact that they might have earned a masters degree somewhere in the west the way they speak leaves much to be desired  -- there are so many elementary grammatical mistakes that situational anxiety couldn't explain the whole phenomenon.

Use magic tools Report

wchao37 Post time: 2018-11-11 03:46
Anchors differ in their styles and emphasis.  

Maybe you are witnessing the behavior of one parti ...

"So despite the fact that they might have earned a masters degree somewhere in the west the way they speak leaves much to be desired  -- there are so many elementary grammatical mistakes that situational anxiety couldn't explain the whole phenomenon."

Concur with you here!  It is a real torture having to watch and listen to some of those so-called experts from Chinese think tanks who can't articulate their points.  Pity, they may have good points but those are lost in communication!  CGTN can do better!

Use magic tools Report

This post was edited by wchao37 at 2018-11-12 03:11
pnp Post time: 2018-11-11 10:50
"So despite the fact that they might have earned a masters degree somewhere in the west the way th ...

Concur with your appraisal here, pnp.

China has 1.4 billion people and quite a few amongst them have over the years earned graduate degrees overseas in social science or economics -- non-STEM academic programs that aren't too difficult for the average university graduate to enroll in -- and gone to work at Renmin University or the Academy of Social Sciences.

So there shouldn't be any difficulty recruiting someone who can at least express themselves clearly in English in their capacity as expert-interviewees at CGTN.  Right?  Wrong.

Quite a few such graduates have become regular advisors of CGTN programs in their respective disciplines, and it is indeed surprising to me that CGTN has regularly invited those that can't express themselves clearly.  

Li Dong-ning is one of the few exceptions and she is the best anchor in terms of both demeanor and articulation at CGTN.

Unfortunately this cannot be said of many of her interviewees -- whether male or female -- many of whom sound like they have falsified their resumes to get their jobs.  

One particular woman from the Academy of Social Sciences (I refuse to identify negative examples, so I won't invoke her name here) speaks like that P.O.F.U. we have been talking about.  

She just CONFIDENTLY blasts away in such poor English that upon hearing her even my cat jumps off the sofa.

The worst thing is of course how CONFIDENTLY she speaks -- as if her audience are as deaf as the person who has invited her over for the expert-interviewee role at CGTN.

I am sure that if she is employed by the Foreign Service and becomes our spokeswoman or the English version of Hua Chun-ying, Donald Trump would unhesitatingly send his warships to park at Gaoxiong Harbor, believing that competent Chinese decision makers are simply non-existent.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.