Author: ceciliazhang

Resume of five-year-old goes viral in China [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-11-5 13:56:02 |Display all floors
wchao37 Post time: 2018-11-5 13:15
The fact that only books in English have been presented as "achievement" by the parents of this kid, ...

"I predict that this child wouldn't be too useful to China when he grows up.  "

Count me in!  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-11-5 14:02:02 |Display all floors
What if a white parent goes to NYTimes and boasts that his/her 5-year old child can write three journals a week in CHINESE and nothing is mentioned about the child's English studies?

Would the American public have felt proud of the child?

This is slavish mentality that still exists in the public's mind in spite of the revolution -- they are oh so very proud of their ability to communicate in English and even send their kids to International Schools whose curricula are designed for laowais -- little or no emphasis on Chinese studies.

If this trend develops, we'll surrender someday as a nation just as the Northern Song emperors surrendered to the Jin troops even though the North Song civilization was the most advanced in the world at that time (960 -- 1127 A.D.), with three of the four major
Chinese inventions (movable printing, gunpowder and mariner's compass) credited to inventors in the Northern Song Dynasty.

The two situations are comparable in the sense that the nation is not emphasizing the most important things needed at that particular moment in history -- in the case of the Northern Song they neglected military preparedness and the entire country, led by Emperor Song Hui Zhong, was mired in non-productive activities, leading to the demise of the economy.

Presently we are facing extreme pressure and challenges from the Americans and the most important thing is to make our children proud to be Chinese through prioritizing Chinese studies at a young age, and not English.  You can learn a foreign language later in life without suffering any serious consequences.

I would have felt different about the situation if the kid's parents have listed Tang poems amongst his studies, although I still would have insisted on prioritizing playtime for the children.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-11-5 14:23:00 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2018-11-5 13:56
"I predict that this child wouldn't be too useful to China when he grows up.  "

Count me in!

I mean it's all so patently absurd -- and the orientation of the entire piece of critique was so misguided.

I have in the filters another piece because this topic is important -- it concerns the orientation of our entire educational system.

Is this the prevailing mindset of this generation of young parents or is it quite atypical?

I know the city and I love the local dialect, but this is very disappointing and disturbing news to me.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-11-5 14:39:36 |Display all floors
This post was edited by wchao37 at 2018-11-5 14:44

Sometimes I don't understand the orientation of CGTN at all.

Is it supposed to attract foreigners to our point of view in global affairs or is its news directed inwards to orient our viewers towards their mentality -- with some of Yang Rui's unsuitable remarks, for instance?

Maybe CGTN should have a program called "All Chinese Should Be English Savvy by Age Five."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-11-5 15:21:34 |Display all floors
If you want to understand what's at stake here, read this short thread in the next minute or so:

oh so very proud

https://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/fo ... page%3D1&page=1

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-11-5 15:26:26 |Display all floors
This post was edited by wchao37 at 2018-11-5 15:27

Don't give up as soon as you see Chinese characters.

There is enough English in the thread for you to follow through to the end, and then you would thank me for some elucidation of the issue we're talking about here.

Pages 4 to 5 are especially pertinent about the phenomenon of P.O.F.U.s who are oh so very proud of their ability to communicate in English.

If only for a good laugh, it's worth your visit:

https://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/fo ... tra=page%3D1&page=4

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-11-6 12:19:59 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2018-11-8 12:33
wchao37 Post time: 2018-11-5 14:23
I mean it's all so patently absurd -- and the orientation of the entire piece of critique was so m ...

"Is this the prevailing mindset of this generation of young parents or is it quite atypical?"

This is indeed the prevailing mindset of the younger generation of Chinese parents; their never ending pursuit of  having an edge over their compatriots!  Witness the huge number of extra-curricular claesses offering all manner of skills for the very young and the thousands of yuan each parent willingly cough up to put their chidren through!  And often, they got cheated by unscrupulous operators promoting useless courses!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.