Author: Grace222

Traditions you may not know about Mid-Autumn Festival in China   [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-9-27 13:40:13 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-9-27 13:41:44 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-9-27 13:35
You have made nothing clear but muddled everything. You cannot prove there is no god and your beli ...

What silly argument!  How can I prove something that does not exist? Can you?

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-9-27 13:43:52 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-9-27 13:45:51 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-9-27 13:46:29 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-9-27 13:47:38 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2018-9-27 13:47:42 |Display all floors
This post was edited by 1584austin at 2018-9-27 13:54
seneca Post time: 2018-9-27 13:43
You should dismount your high horse and try to commune with the earthlings that walk on their ow ...

The tradition that got me asking questions many many years ago when I first went to China was the finger tapping on the table.
Below C & P i found interesting

When I went to my cousin's wedding in Vancouver, I discovered there are a lot of Chinese customs that I was clueless to, which is pretty embarrassing considering I am half Chinese! One of the most interesting ones dealt with tea. Every time someone had their cup filled with tea by another person, they would tap two fingers against the table. At first I thought it was just a weird thing my family did, but then they explained to me it is actually an old Chinese custom for the Cantonese. There are a few reasons behind this.  

It starts with Emperor Qian Long

The legion is that Emperor Long used to travel among the citizens in disguise to get a feel of how everyday people were living. One time he went to a restaurant with one of his servants and actually poured his servant a cup of tea (which is unheard of for an Emperor at that time.) The servant had to show he was grateful, but didn’t want to do a customary bow since it would blow the Emperor's cover, so he tapped his fingers on the table to show the Emperor that he was grateful.  

But there is a more practical reason for doing this

If you ever eat with the Chinese they pour tea all meal long. And, like most other cultures, they like to speak and have a good time while they are eating. So, as you can imagine, if a person said thank you every time that their tea was poured it would constantly break up the conversation. The tapping of the fingers is a way to say thank you if you are in the middle of a conversation.  

But a “Thank You” is always preferred

Just like any other customer, there is a time and place for tapping fingers. If you are with a quiet group it is always better to say “thank you” instead of tapping your fingers. It isn’t that big of a deal, but it would be weird if you were waiting in silence with one other person and only tapped your fingers when they poured you a cup of tea. Just think of it this way, you would never give a thumbs up to someone who did you a favor if you could just say “thanks

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.