Author: tenderloin

Trump's Tariff on China   [Copy link] 中文

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2018-3-28 11:51:56 |Display all floors
This post was edited by robert237 at 2018-3-27 22:21

Dual post while waiting for verification.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2018-3-28 11:58:01 |Display all floors
cmknight Post time: 2018-3-27 15:11
Let's take a look at some of those "superior manufacturing abilities", shall we?

Leaded paint

Everyone in the US worries about prescription drugs and food.
In the last month 24 food products were recalled.

Foodborne illness, or food poisoning, affects about one in six Americans every year. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that of these cases, there are 128,000 hospitalizations and 3,000 deaths annually.

And what about the 35 prescription drugs that had to be recalled after FDA approval.
Thousands of US citizens died as a result of those goofs.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-3-28 12:38:04 |Display all floors
This post was edited by sfphoto at 2018-3-28 19:20
cmknight Post time: 2018-3-28 07:38
Liu Zhijun started a "Market Access for Technology Transfer Policy" at the start of China's foray  ...

To my knowledge, no US company is involved in the high-speed rail projects in China. In fact, there is no US company — not a single one —  that manufactures rolling-stock for any type of rail in the USA!!! Under the “Buy America” program, USA requires foreign companies including those from China to manufacture rolling-stock for rail projects in the USA.

The top three product categories responsible for the majority of the trade deficit in goods between the USA and China are: 1). mobile phones 2). computers and 3). telecom equipment. Shoes, toys and garments used to be the top categories but they’re increasingly being sourced from developing countries other than China.

I stand by my claim: US corporations such as Apple, HP, Dell, etc. are responsible for the massive trade deficit in goods between the USA and China because they outsourced the manufacturing of their products to their Taiwanese partners (Foxconn, Wistron, Compal) in China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-3-29 05:23:08 |Display all floors
This post was edited by sfphoto at 2018-3-29 10:47
cmknight Post time: 2018-3-28 07:38
Liu Zhijun started a "Market Access for Technology Transfer Policy" at the start of China's foray  ...

One more thing: it’s not theft if the foreign companies agreed to sign those contracts establishing joint ventures with the Chinese SOEs and licensing their designs and technologies to China. Those contracts are called “technology transfer” agreements which are legal methods for acquiring IPRs associated with those designs and technologies. If those foreign companies didn’t sign those contracts, then any attempts to copy their designs and technologies will be considered “theft” of IPRs.

Your use of the word “theft” is misleading because China didn’t “steal” their IPRs. Those foreign vendors agreed to and received compensation for transferring their technologies to their JV partners who must pay royalties to the parent companies for the use of their IPRs in manufacturing the rolling stock in China.

Lastly, Bombardier Transportation is a Canadian company based in Germany. They are the ones who entered into a joint venture manufacturing high-speed rolling stock in China. If anything, their revenues from JV plus the royalties from the technology transfer agreement would add billions of dollars to the trade SURPLUS between Germany and China but would have no effect on the trade DEFICIT between the USA and China.

And that’s the problem: the USA hardly manufacture anything but instead import everything while Germany manufacture and exports cars, trains, etc. to China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-3-29 07:04:21 |Display all floors
sfphoto Post time: 2018-3-28 12:38
To my knowledge, no US company is involved in the high-speed rail projects in China. In fact, there ...
I stand by my claim: US corporations such as Apple, HP, Dell, etc. are responsible for the massive trade deficit in goods between the USA and China because they outsourced the manufacturing of their products to their Taiwanese partners (Foxconn, Wistron, Compal) in China.

You really aren't listening to people, are you. The tariffs are not about the trade deficit. The tariffs are about IP theft, and forcing companies to give China their technology. How many times do you have to be told before you get it into your thick head?
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.
I love sarcasm. It's like punching someone in the head ... only with words

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-3-29 07:05:26 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2018-3-28 11:36
Such a short list you have for China. The US is a far more dangerous place for prescription drugs  ...

What part of "some" do you not understand?
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.
I love sarcasm. It's like punching someone in the head ... only with words

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-3-29 07:35:28 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.