Author: pnp

Disgusting Behavior of Returned Chinese Immigrant   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-1-21 11:26:15 |Display all floors
coralbay Post time: 2018-1-20 18:17
No this is what happens when one person moves abroad and comes back. It has nothing to do with a p ...

That's your perception, which I don't agree with!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-21 11:47:58 |Display all floors
No this is what happens when one person moves abroad and comes back. It has nothing to do with a p ...

"It has nothing to do with a perceived sense of superiority among western people. Your perception only."

Seems you don't read well, you keep misinterpreting my comments. I guess you just want to pick an argument. Where did I say anything about 'sense of superiority among western people'?  I specifically said that of this woman, not that it was picked up from westerners, of course not, it is she  herself feeling superior just because she got a green card!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-21 11:51:31 |Display all floors
jeffwkh Post time: 2018-1-20 21:23
that´s true! thinking they above of everyone!

You are smarter than many on this thread who keep arguing over a simple, obvious matter that I said, ie that this woman felt superior over her compatriots back home because she got a green card, even expected to be treated differently from the rest, and to bypass the law!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-21 11:56:52 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-1-20 22:06
Quite misleading to say Singapore is a "Confucian society" that abides by old Chinese traditions ...

'Quite misleading to say Singapore is a "Confucian society" that abides by old Chinese traditions.'

You have not been reading and keepng yourself informed, you just shoot off your empty gap!
The late founder of modern Singapore,  Lee Kuan Yew and his counterpart in Malaysia then, Dr Mahatir both spoke of Confucianism as their guiding principles!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-21 12:03:24 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2018-1-21 16:13
cmknight Post time: 2018-1-21 02:11
Nothing has been "defined". You have misread my words. I said 'often refers to'. That is not a def ...

Typical Westerner's viewpoint,  that sacrificing individual rights will bring down the community.  That's contrary to Confucius teachings.  Foregoing some, not all, individual rights is essential for a harmonious prosperous society.  China is a very good example of how Confucian principles help bring about the world's second largest economy, a prosperous and stable society. Compare that to the many bankrupt economies of the West where individuals and groups fight for all sorts of rights, such as rights to privacy,  behind which criminals hide, making it impossible for law enforcers to go after them!  And rights to possess guns, giving US the dubious honor of having the world's most gun-related deaths!  Individual rights, taken to the extreme, can't co-exist with communal good, there must be some sacrifices to achieve that!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-21 12:20:11 |Display all floors

"No this is what happens when one person moves abroad and comes back"

Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

But your other part, "It has nothing to do with a perceived sense of superiority among western people"  is way off the mark.  I never said westerners have that' sense of superiority';  you put that in my mouth!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-21 14:01:42 |Display all floors
This post was edited by sfphoto at 2018-1-21 14:59
pnp Post time: 2018-1-21 12:03
Typical Westerner's viewpoint,  that sacrificing individual rights will bring down the community.   ...

Another example of Confucianist ethics is the duty of Japanese salaryman to be loyal to his Corporation. They’re expected to sacrifice their individual interests in order to serve their Corporation. In the US auto industry, the relationship between Management and Labor became so antagonistic that US auto companies preferred outsourcing their manufacturing to Mexico rather than dealing with intransigent labor unions in the USA. The result: Japanese auto companies conquered the US market in no time.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.