Author: ariqj

Athletes take a knee during the national anthem [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-9-28 09:49:38 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-9-26 21:12
I fail to see your point.

If you are descended from slaves, do you think you would THINK or FE ...

Best you live, interact and speak with them for a few years in USA. Then you might begin to understand. Some white Usanians over-compensate (the liberals and progressives) and create another layer of social injustice and systemic problems that need to be dealt with years from now, others like Trump, Session, Bannon et al and his middle class base (the conservatives ) do not even publicly acknowledge the issues, and whether there are any issues

Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-28 09:54:57 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2017-9-26 21:20
Personally, I think americans go waaaayyyyyy overboard when it comes to rituals and displays of na ...

It's mass psychology, a good way to manipulate the mass and much more effective than the way PRC does it. Popular team sports and ostentatious display of nationalism is addictive. Plays to tribalism.
In ancient Rome, it was the circus, gambling and cheap wheat from Sardinia.

Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-28 10:02:09 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2017-9-27 22:59
I believe everyone is racist, sure.  But....and there is a big but here..... Its much different wh ...

You might like to pay attention to what's happening in senate elections.
Alabama Supreme Court Judge Moore beat Strange in the GOP runoff. Trump supported Strange, Moore by comparison makes Trump and Bannon look like bleeding heart commie liberals. He had a huge slab of stone with the Ten Commandments placed infront of the Alabama Supreme Courts
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-28 21:27:18 |Display all floors
OGSock Post time: 2017-9-27 09:43
I find it ironic the average USA Citizen doesn't realize the history of USA and why the society has  ...

According to some polls, many born-in-USA Usanians who went through high school there could not tell you 3 civil rights they would lose if they lose their First Amendment. After 9-11, they collectively allowed the First Amendment to be diluted.

USA has a lot of wonderful things worth defending, but they are wasted on born-in-USA Usanians. Literature is one of them, some louts trashed Robert Frost's antique home. One of my favourite poet.

Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-28 21:41:26 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2017-9-27 22:59
I believe everyone is racist, sure.  But....and there is a big but here..... Its much different wh ...

JF, succinctly, what in your opinion is a racist?
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-29 07:36:22 |Display all floors
cestmoi Post time: 2017-9-28 21:41
JF, succinctly, what in your opinion is a racist?

What is a racist?  Holding negative stereotypes of  people from different races.  Some of this we can't help.  Its society.  Its the language we heard growing up.  Its not always intentional or comes from a bad place.  But its always wrong to assign character traits to an entire race.

Here's what I think, in part, its very human.   We evolved to survive within groups.  Being able to recognize a member of your group and those who are not members (and perhaps dangerous) was vital to survival.  So we evolved using visual cues to identify members of our group vs non-members.  Race can be all too easy to fall into this trap.  You don't look like me...you're not like me.....you might be a threat!...you are probably bad!

So in some ways, racism can be as natural and instinctual as having a sex drive.  But like a sex drive, we still need rules in society so we don't all kill each other.  Its something we have to keep in check.  You can't go around grabbing women by the p-ssy all the time and expect a harmonious society right?  We put social rules and norms on our natural instincts and behavior.  Racism should be looked at in the same way.  Its something we need to check ourselves on.  There needs to be rules and norms put in place so we don't all kill each other.  Also I think its something we'll never truly get over.  There is no such thing as a post-racial society.   No one is immune to falling into the trap.

The danger of racism is oppression.  So those in power have to be held to higher standards to ensure that their racism is in check enough not to oppress.  Not only political leaders, but also employers, teachers, religious leaders, etc.

I have no problem as a white person, with the fact that its white people that are accused the most of racism.  We're the ones still largely holding positions of power and influence.  Its more important that we are scrutinized more heavily than others.    It just goes with the territory.  Not to mention our history of oppression makes it necessary.   Big hairy deal.  And *I* am the snowflake.....pfffftttttttt.  I can handle this fact and not whine and cry like a victim about it.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-29 07:51:55 |Display all floors
cestmoi Post time: 2017-9-28 21:27
According to some polls, many born-in-USA Usanians who went through high school there could not te ...

9/11 ruined the country.  It radicalized us.  We gave up freedoms.  We gave military equipment to our police.  We allow and cheer on police butality and killings.   

Bush said as a response to 9/11, 'they hate us for our freedoms'.  That was a bs line of course, but who would say that today?  We don't even care about the freedoms we lost.  There are now classes....classes on 'how to survive a traffic stop with police.'  And people think that is fine.

I was born in the sixties.  I was a generation after the protect generation that went through the civil rights, vietnam war protests,  and women's rights.   But those movements shaped my view.  I saw them as warriors - in the best way possible.  They changed our country for the better.  But now?  Its like we are going backwards.  My kids don't even know what it was like here prior to 9/11.  They were too young.

CNN produced some documentaries of the decades.  Have you ever watched The sixties or the seventies and contrast it with today?

With Obama, I had hope.  I had hope we could overcome the radicalization and look towards a brighter future.  But we utterly failed.  Obama didn't fail - it was us that failed.  We, the people, just became more radicalized as a nation.  

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.