Author: knox1234

Many foreign teachers in China don't have teaching certificates   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-8-27 08:21:09 |Display all floors
Problem really is that very few schools in China follow the rules. They use young people on student visa to teach classes or hire people whose native language is not English. Sure they can speak some English but it is very poor.Using non- certified foreign teachers is a complete waste of money.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-27 08:28:05 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-8-26 20:15
You need to learn to think outside the box, Dee:rie; the foreign teachers based in China owe their ...

Has very little to do with competent ot incompetent teachers. Schools want a foreign face that is about it. Chinese teachers are held to high standards in every subject but English. Chinese teachers actually do as well if not better teaching English then most foreign teachers. They actually try to teach, not play games or show movies with Chinese sub-tittles all day.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-8-27 10:43:07 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-8-27 10:49:56 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-27 11:05:56 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-27 14:23:59 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-8-27 11:05
You disagree with me out of sheer unfamiliarity with the topic, mate! Nobody owes Deng anything. ...
Nobody owes Deng anything. He did not invent the concept of Foreign English Teachers For China [...] Whether that was due to the opening-up policy or not is irrelevant

I think that it is relevant in understanding why the situation is what it is. China went from "glorious to be poor" to "glorious to be rich" overnight, after only recently wasting a generation of education in cultural revolution.

As a result, China had lot of catching up with rest of the world to do in many aspects, and one of those is proficiency in English language.

China in a short time trained its own English teachers for the whole nation.

If that is the case, then why so few Chinese today know no English? Don't just think of the English language education here, because the education system as whole was screwed (and partially continues to be) and great English textbooks or even teachers do not help in that situation.

Having failed to learn English properly themselves (with whatever system was in place in those years), Chinese parents today think, that a faster/better way to have their children learn English is to have foreigners come teach English.

The majority of them are dispassionate, disinterested. Teaching a foreign language after all is a tricky job: with one foot you stand on enemy territory; how can you make sure that the other foot does not lose balance on home territory?  

I think that here you picked up a prime reason for the observed lack of passion or interest.

With passionate interest in learning another language, comes (or should come) interest to the culture that the language reflects. And there are some well known limitations with that in China.

Such limitations would not exist in many other countries, which explains why local English teachers perform better there than in China.

If you are a Chinese teacher of English language, you can only go so far with interest in other English affairs, before your career gets politically blocked for showing too much interest in such.

You work in education - how many headmasters or other leading characters in Chinese schools do you know, who would not be members of the party?

I discussed this matter couple of years ago with expat group where I live, and it was mentioned that in recent years many of the headmasters in local institutions had been rotated to make sure that the party is in control.

But such official institutions are a drop in the ocean in my opinion. The market for unqualified foreign teachers is not there, but in extra-curricular training centres and other off-the-grid operations. I know for example art schools for preschool children, who have foreigners to give English classes on the side.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-27 14:54:31 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-8-26 20:15
You need to learn to think outside the box, Dee:rie; the foreign teachers based in China owe their ...

Shows you are completely out of touch with the reality;  no matter how good Chinese teachers are, the students and their oarents would still demand a foreign face in class, nothing to do with Chinese teachers, although I can agree that they fall short of English language skills.  It has everything to do with Chinese preference for foreign teachers, qualified, or unqualified!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.