Author: ceciliazhang

Is forced donation moral?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-8-16 10:46:53 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2017-8-14 01:18
Yes, but only if those people pay adequately for that service to the insurance companies (which  ...

So if they choose not to take out a fully comprehensive policy then it is up to the government to step forward and lend them money, at an advantageous business rate, to rebuild if the banks are not forthcoming. But if the banks are not forthcoming then arguably it is not a sound investment. Under no circumstances should individuals be expected to pick up the bills for those who chose not to take precautions against rainy days. Perhaps a better idea would be for the government to provide a natural disaster insurance policy since insurance companies aren't brave enough.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2017-8-16 11:23:44 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-16 14:46:30 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2017-8-14 01:18
Yes, but only if those people pay adequately for that service to the insurance companies (which  ...

When officials and ordinary civil servants are crooked, then it indeed is hard to find the truth. In this respect, India is the worst among major countries in the world, though it boasts being the largest democracy on earth.  What an irony.
Believe it or not, it's true.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-16 14:57:51 |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-8-16 14:46
When officials and ordinary civil servants are crooked, then it indeed is hard to find the truth.  ...

But the dfficulty of finding the truth in China has not so much to do with crooked officials, but state policies and lack of free press.

Someone can investigate one or two cases, but eventually he will be convicted for "picking quarrels and provoking trouble". So there stops finding the truth.

Childish law that, really.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-16 15:07:12 |Display all floors
fatdragon Post time: 2017-8-16 10:46
So if they choose not to take out a fully comprehensive policy then it is up to the government to  ...
. Under no circumstances should individuals be expected to pick up the bills for those who chose not to take precautions against rainy days. Perhaps a better idea would be for the government to provide a natural disaster insurance policy

But governments get most of their funding from individuals through taxation, so it's quite irrelevant whether individuals end up picking up the bills directly or through state's tax contributions. My original point in this thread was that if the state has inefficient tax system (in regards to either collecting taxes, or using that money), then blame the government.

As a tax payer, would you feel comfortable for paying taxes if you knew that the money is used to cover costs of natural disasters, without knowing how much those disasters were caused by nature and how much by man's own work?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-16 17:15:06 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2017-8-16 15:07
But governments get most of their funding from individuals through taxation, so it's quite irrel ...

No it is not irrelevant. People should take responsibility for the hazards in life and either set aside savings for emergencies or take out insurance. Other people should not be expected to pay their bills for them. If it is a genuine hardship need then it is the role of a government to assist and knowing this they should (and do) budget accordingly. The only contributions that individuals make should be via taxation or voluntarily. Under no circumstances should individuals be blackmailed into funding others.

I am already aware that my taxes go towards government budgets including disaster funding and I am comfortable with that. I am not comfortable with being blackmailed into providing additional funding which takes no note of my personal needs.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-16 17:33:57 |Display all floors
fatdragon Post time: 2017-8-16 17:15
No it is not irrelevant. People should take responsibility for the hazards in life and either set  ...

You didn't seem to catch my points.

You wote:
Perhaps a better idea would be for the government to provide a natural disaster insurance policy

To THIS, I commented that there is not much difference between government spending your tax money on this, or you spending your money yourself. This is what I mean by "irrelevant". Though, at least if you spend it directly, you have better control over when and how it is spent.

Besides this misunderstanding, I think we agree that people should take responsibility themselves.

I am already aware that my taxes go towards government budgets including disaster funding and I am comfortable with that.

That too was not my point. My point was that are you comfortable not knowing whether the disasters could have been prevented altogether, if local or central government had spent rest of your tax payments more efficiently.

For example, if a schoolful of kids dies in Sichuan, and your tax money goes as compensation to the families, would you not care to know that local officials neglected their duties and did not follow instructions, resulting in school bulding that collapsed at first minor shake?

Are you comfortable with your tax contributions used to cover such officials' malpractise?

This mostly relates to how journalists in China are prevented from getting the truth of such matters. And that too is done by officials who are funded by your tax contributions.

First the goverment takes your money, then it uses your money to prevent you from knowing how your money is spent.

Chinese would deserve free press after all they have been through.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.