Is forced donation moral?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-8-16 19:16:53 |Display all floors
This post was edited by fatdragon at 2017-8-16 19:21
Jaaja Post time: 2017-8-16 17:33
You didn't seem to catch my points.

You wote:
To THIS, I commented that there is not much difference between government
spending your tax money on this, or you spending your money yourself. This is
what I mean by "irrelevant". Though, at least if you spend it directly, you have
better control over when and how it is spent.

The difference is that when a government collects taxes they do so with the knowledge that the individual has an income that can afford to pay. Equally a tax demand is is an impersonal collection of revenue in that EVERYBODY has a liability in accordance with their income.  Conversely when a charity worker rattles a collection tin in your face (illegal in the UK) or corners you in your home, your office etc they are applying unwelcome social pressure.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-8-16 21:23:58 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-16 21:25:23 |Display all floors
fatdragon Post time: 2017-8-16 19:16
The difference is that when a government collects taxes they do so with the knowledge that the ind ...
when a charity worker rattles a collection tin in your face (illegal in the UK) or corners you in your home, your office etc they are applying unwelcome social pressure.

This I agree with.

It rarely happens in my home country with valid charity workers - more often such scenarios involve an Eastern European beggar or thief. For real charity collections, we have laws in place that require the organizers to be registered with police or other competent authority before taking place, and the collectors carrying identifying badges.

Personally I take such encounters (of the authorized kind) as exercise in debate, if I somehow disagree with either the method or the purpose of their action. Besides, it is nowadays all too easy to donate to charity online, so even for Red Cross or other real organizations on-foot collections are financially barely worth the resources they take - but it's the visibility that matters.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-16 21:32:08 |Display all floors
This post was edited by cwdy at 2017-8-17 04:50

I object to any forced behaviors, including forced silence.
Refreshed.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-17 09:42:06 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2017-8-16 14:57
But the dfficulty of finding the truth in China has not so much to do with crooked officials, but  ...

Could you cite any concrete case that would corroborate your statement? I bet you can't.
What policies of the authorities prevent truth from being coming to light?
This is sheer speculation on your part, I am afraid.
Believe it or not, it's true.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-17 09:59:48 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-8-16 21:23
The various Chinese authorities often are responsible for damage to property owned by individuals. ...

This is obviously an oversimplified interpretation of events, likely for shady motives.
It is actually a case of trade-off, and as tightly disciplined as the governments are at variously levels, no one would make the decision to lift the sluice on his or her own without a comprehensive calculation.
Wantonly blaming the authorities for the damages inflicted by natural disasters is laughable.
Believe it or not, it's true.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2017-8-17 10:04:17 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.