Views: 75529|Replies: 3744

Breakfast in America   [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2016-6-13 09:11:10 |Display all floors
The trip to the USA is now underway, we have been here 20 hours and my feelings so far?

Not too different to what I expected but then my expectations were not high so no surprise there.

ammimm.jpg

Arrivied at JFK airport at 10.30pm and I am a big believer in first impressions being important, what were my first impreesions here? Not good! The organisation at immigration was the worst I have ever seen, even worse than in Dubai! The people with their reddish coloured blazers that were supposed to be managing the system need reminding that they are representing their country, they should be ashamed, the dissappeared and reappeared as if by magic, changing the rules at will, moving barriers to let people from the back of the queue to near the front while ignoring those that had been waiting longest, letting people get to the front of a queue only to close the lane and move people to the back again, what a joke.

Get in front of the official immigration officer, now that is another thing, the one who check us was a great guy, chatty, friendly and efficient, the greeters before them need to learn from these people.

Come on JFK, visit Shanghai Pudong Airport and learn how to do immigration efficiently, usually there I can be out of the airport in less than 45 minutes after landing, Shanghai wins hands down in this matter.

Taxi to the hotel was an uneventful $50 and the hotel check in, even at after 1am was fine.

Up early for te hotel breakfast and then out to see the Big Apple starting with a subway trip and the purchase of a weekly travel card, again an example of how the famed American customer service is failing. the man in the ticket kiosk asked what we wanted and then answered the phone
ticketoffice.jpg

ignoring us while doing so, eventually we got the tickets but no receipt, when we asked for a receipt for our accounts we were told " we do not do receipts, our employers trust us", maybe they do but that answer will not wash with the taxman in China.

After a long day, back to the hotel, hopefully tommorrow we will experiance the hospitality we were expecting in the CSA.

To Be Continued

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-6-13 12:29:40 |Display all floors

Yeah, about immigration... rudeness takes on a totally new dimension. U r lucky u r not single ethnic Chinese travelling alone.

Look pass subway employee.

Don't let these unpleasant Usanian swines ruin your trip. Stay cool, enjoy living, love life.

If hotel near Columbia, read my last post. Lovely area.
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2016-6-13 19:08:07 |Display all floors
American impresdion seems to be a mixed bag with your experience

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2016-6-13 22:40:22 |Display all floors
cestmoi Post time: 2016-6-13 12:29
Yeah, about immigration... rudeness takes on a totally new dimension. U r lucky u r not single ethn ...

The actual immigration official was champion, it was those before him that were bad and one of those was American Chinese ( at least he looked and spoke Chinese ), he was VERY rude to Chinese people travelling. Not a good advertisement for the US.

As said on the other thread, hotel in NY is Long Island City, 5 mins from the Subway

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-6-13 22:42:02 |Display all floors
dusty1 Post time: 2016-6-13 19:05
You barsted I thought this was a Super Tramp thread

Maybe you are a " Dreamer " after all that would have been too " Logical "

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-6-13 22:43:04 |Display all floors
dusty1 Post time: 2016-6-13 19:08
American impresdion seems to be a mixed bag with your experience

So far underwhelmed but still keeping an open mind

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2016-6-14 06:01:17 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2016-6-13 22:43
So far underwhelmed but still keeping an open mind

You might find computerised bob in America

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.