Straits Times: China must shake off the past in ties with Japan [Copy link] 中文

arthur has been deleted
Post time 2003-11-13 15:26:48 |Display all floors

Americans love peace too....

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-13 20:48:09 |Display all floors

It is so sad

I am saddened to hear innocent young Chinese children spout out the anti-Japanese propaganda they have been force fed since they were old enough to hear. They have no understanding of the circumstances yet they will grow up as emotionally bitter and twisted as their elders.

What makes this enduring hatred so strange is that the Chinese people have been able.to forgive each other for atrocities they have inflicted on each other since time began. Millions upon millions of Chinese have died at the hands of their fellow countrymen in recent times without leaving obvious emotional scars, so surely it is time for a few healing thoughts toward the Japanese, 95% of whom were not even born before WW II.

Japan has contributed huge amounts of money and materials in aid to China, as well as investing heavily in China's growing prosperity. Perhaps this is Japan's way of saying sorry. They have "face" too.

Use magic tools Report

freeman has been deleted
Post time 2003-11-14 08:04:32 |Display all floors

Reply: It is so sad

Use magic tools Report

chairman has been deleted
Post time 2003-11-14 08:19:08 |Display all floors

That was a nice post even I do not agree...but the point about Japanese money in

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-14 13:01:41 |Display all floors

Hatemongers are still alive and hating

Japan has given in direct aid, about the same amount as China has spent in being the third nation to put a man into space. Seems to me that this is quite a generous gesture (given that Japan chose not to bother joining the long finished space-race and instead collaborates with other countries in building the international space station) and one that should be taken as an apology.
To use a more personal example.
Two strong-willed (stubborn) people have a big argument. Neither side will apologise and the dispute is likely to go on forever. One person makes a goodwill gesture to the other and this is (often gratefully) accepted as an unspoken apology. Neither side has said sorry and neither side loses face -- yet friendship is reestablished.

A similar situation to Japan-phobia is the simmering USA-phobia that is occasionally whipped up to hysterical levels. A visit to the Nanjing?? memorial to more than 2000 US aviators who died helping China against Japan should be mandatory for all young Chinese students to counter the poison passed down by their elders.

It is encouraging to note that on a governmental level at least, China is less inclined to huff and puff and beat the wardrums at every real or imagined slight by other countries.  However, the self-righteous breast beating and condemnation of the entire Japanese nation that followed the recent sex scandal down south and the obscene dance at X'ian, shows quite clearly that tolerance has yet to trickle down to the grass-roots level.

A nation that tolerates and even encourages hatemongers within its own society has a little to do before being truly at peace with its neighbours.

Use magic tools Report

gtnbia has been deleted
Post time 2003-11-14 20:41:22 |Display all floors

toxic family heirlooms

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-15 11:47:43 |Display all floors

toxic family heirlooms -- expresses it well

Many years ago school children in Australia used to line up every Monday to watch the flag being raised and sing the national anthem. That was the sum total of our nationalistic indocrination. Nowadays they don't do it more than once or twice a year --Australia Day -- commemorating the uniting of all the previously separate states into one nation (and which increasingly is a celebration of the fantasticaly rich multicultural society that we now are -- where differences are celebrated rather than reviled) and on ANZAC day which celebrates one of our worst military defeats, but which actually commemorates those soldiers who fought and lost their lives in ALL wars that Australia fought. This one day of the year is a celebration of our freedom and principles and is certainly not an opportunity to brainwash our children into hating the Japanese. Sure, Australian schools have taught "wrong" history in the past--most notably concerning the Australian Aborigines but never have they embarked on a deliberate course to foster hatred against any one group.

Yes we all have our prejudices--I have lots--but these were obtained at a personal level through my own experiences, and to a certain extent through those of my parents. However, while as the son of an Australian soldier who wasted 6 years of his life keeping the Japanese back, I could be excused for having an intense hatred of all things Japanese, I do not. Nor did my Father, and neither did the vast majority of Australian soldiers. In fact, for several years, ex-soldiers from Japan have joined in our war commemorations and have made joint visits to some places where the most terrible things happened 60 years ago.

On a logical basis I could not be so much of a hypocryte as to hate the Japanese while at the same time having them as a major supplier of the goods that make my life so comfortable. Equally, the communist yellow peril that for years posed a terrible threat to our democratic way of life turned out to be not such a threat afterall and now China is one of our biggest trading partners.

And, you know what? Now that I'm here I find that they-you- are a really nice people. Not perfect of course, but pretty good.

Something else--when I was in Japan, I found them to be just as nice.

Amazing isn't it?

So give your kids a break. Don't stuff them full of hatred and guilt and ...  They will learn the seamier side of life plenty soon enough without being poisoned by long past events. Sure we must never forget events such as the Nanjing massacre, but that does not mean we can't forgive.
Children can learn from these events, but only if compassionate adults and teachers use the opportunity to build bridges between the survivors rather than tear them down year after year to forever separate them.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.