Author: KIyer

Nationalism, Racism and Fascism made clearer   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-12-19 10:29:41 |Display all floors
Ah I see. A stimulus to argument. Ok.
English teacher and education adviser. China needs a teaching profession with less fear and more trust and honesty.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-12-19 10:44:17 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2015-12-19 11:33:32 |Display all floors
This post was edited by KIyer at 2015-12-19 13:41
TedM Post time: 2015-12-19 12:29
Ah I see. A stimulus to argument. Ok.

yes that is one purpose for my post. it would be good if you could chip in your bit about why you think my definitions seem strange to you or what you disagree with.

another reason for my post, is that i often observe people arguing pointlessly without understanding that they each have a different meaning attached to the same word or that they use different words for the same meaning. They get too caught up in the use of a word, with or without a devotion to the meaning of it in a dictionary. Many deliberately use a different word to wiggle out of an intellectual spot they got into. Word play is all too common in the English speaking world and new learners are often at a disadvantage. I was trying to make everyone see if they agree on a simple, mutually agreed meaning of the words that get thrown around on CD, too often.
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-12-19 16:10:20 |Display all floors
This post was edited by sfphoto at 2015-12-19 16:11
St_George Post time: 2015-12-18 22:17
Well nobody did imperialism better than us way back, did they ?  The empires have disintegrated territoriy but the Capitalists who now rule most of the world are oblivious to Nationalism, Racism and Facism.

Good point. All nations, races, cultures in the world are now under the control of Capitalists so Capitalism won over Nationalism, Racism and Fascism.

So long as they're all on board in practise it doesn't matter a f*ck what they want to call themselves.

I think they now call themselves "HOMO rights activists".

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2015-12-19 20:27:29 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-12-20 16:03:28 |Display all floors
This post was edited by sfphoto at 2015-12-20 17:23
KIyer Post time: 2015-12-19 04:26
Imperialism with the belief in a nation's supposed superiority is the nationalism that we all seem to fear and  condemn in others. If someone just believed that nationalism is NOT imperialist they would worry less about it in others.

Nationalism need not necessarily imply belief in a nation's supposed superiority but does require pride and faith in one's nation. It's a form of tribalism but applied to the modern nation-state. In practical reality, nationalism means favoring or working towards the national interest whether in domestic or foreign policy, in economics or culture. As an example, a country adopting a "nationalist" economic policy would look inward rather than outward thus creating an autarky by favoring local products over foreign imports or closing the country to foreign investors. It does not follow that the country must necessarily become imperialist by forcing foreign countries to open their markets.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-12-20 16:55:40 |Display all floors
sfphoto Post time: 2015-12-20 16:03
Nationalism need not necessarily imply belief in a nation's supposed superiority but does require p ...

in America, they democractically...without fear, favor or force choose a black guy to be President.

what can be better than that?

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.