Views: 669|Replies: 5

I'm not fluff[2]- Chinadaily.com.cn [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-11-23 08:55:22 |Display all floors
I should be doing more than designing clever ways to make students talk. Sure, within the parameters I operate in the classroom, I have all kinds of opportunities to bond with my students, spot and identify at-risk kids and become more than a teacher to those who need it. I have time to tutor those who want extra help. And I have all kinds of energy to get involved in English club activities. I fe ...

--------Click here for more information--------

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-26 18:04:43 |Display all floors
I agree with you very much.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-12-1 16:25:37 |Display all floors
Hi,

As a teacher in China for seven years, and a former journalist, I can empathize.  As to challenges and solutions in this area, throw a dart blindly and you'll hit something.  But I think the main issue is English exams in general, in particular things like TOEFL, IELTS, etc. which influence the format of Chinese exams.  In any case, the point being these exams are ludicrous in regard to 'English proficiency'.  

It's been said and written umpteen times of how the average English speaker in Canada, America, U.K. COULD NOT pass these exams.  And for good reason -- the content in not only useless (i.e. some esoteric art history question suitable only for a Masters in Art History...) and unnecessary in real life, but panders to some 'Ivory Tower' philosophy which totally ignores reality.  I'd wish I could see the written exam results to some of those arcane IELTS questions; I guarantee the grading system the examiners use is based on some enormous 'Bell curve', in which individual marks are completely skewed.

As to ignoring role play and doing conjugation, I suppose it depends on your focus.  I finished my university TESL Cert. in 2012 and the modern teaching philosophy for oral English, according to experts, says grammar should be ignored in favor of simple conversational comprehension.

Anyway, the only way I learned English grammar was by reading books, often aloud, when I was a kid in Canada.  Understanding English grammar is like a Gordian Knot wrapped in riddle and packed in an enigma.  To Chinese students who have trouble with simple sentence construction, how to you explain 'Future Perfect Plural Participle'?  Good luck with that...

David

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-12-26 10:13:37 |Display all floors
Welcome to China. If you want to be a "real" teacher, especially in English, why come here? Foreign "Experts" are labelled as such to hide their second-class status. You will never be considered a part of the "official" educational system here, at least not until China institutes genuine citizenship for foreigners. You are here to distract and entertain. The system does not care about you, they don't particularly like or respect you, and you are eminently dispensable. You are a plug for a leaky hole until they can get the hole fixed with Chinese teachers.

Also, English teachers stopped teaching grammar about 60 years ago in the West, so why you would want to begin this useless practice now is a mystery. Teach your students to read and write, listen and speak the same way you learned, by doing them, not "studying" them.

If you want to learn to become a professional piano player, would you spend your days reading books about how to play the piano - analogous to studying grammar - or would you play the piano all day?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-11-4 11:01:54 |Display all floors
ubermensch date. 2015-12-26 10:13
                                Welcome to China. If you want to be a "real" teacher, especially in English, why come here? Foreign  ...
Why didn't this response get filtered out by the Moderators? What an unnecessarily angry and nasty way to get your point across.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.