Views: 4048|Replies: 36

Can US, Russia iron out differences to face IS together? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-10-5 09:46:31 |Display all floors
The rise and expansion of the IS, that has de facto control over approximately one-third of Iraq and Syria in a self-declared caliphate, is a logical consequence of the international community's lack of policies to deal with the conflict in Syria. With Russia intensifying Syria airstrikes against IS, can Russia and the US bridge their divergences to form a coordination bloc in a crackdown campaign against the terrorist group?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-10-5 11:20:12 |Display all floors
Good question but clear cut answer.

Putin and the West are not in the same page and  the differences have only grown wider.

Putin is in anti  West mode....and is in Syria to boost his anti West image.

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2015-10-5 17:56:58 |Display all floors
This post was edited by KIyer at 2015-10-5 19:57

How is it possible when one of them has created and supported IS?
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-10-5 22:13:14 |Display all floors
KIyer Post time: 2015-10-5 04:56
How is it possible when one of them has created and supported IS?

The US certainly HELPED create the original Al Qaida by using the extreme Islamists against the Russians in Afghanistan. (Greatly-aided by the Pakistan military intelligence). However, this grievous mistake was not repeated in Syria and Iraq. IS was an off-shoot of Al Qaida that was not an American product. Its  real supporters were two powerful groups: 1. The Sunni's of Saudi Arabia and the Gulf States; and 2. The Israeli intelligence organs (in their attempts to keep the Arabs divided between Sunni and Shia). The Americans and Russians will both benefit (the Russians more) by the end of Islamic extremism. So, I think US-Russian cooperation is inevitable (but will not be advertised).
What's on your mind...

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2015-10-6 16:31:37 |Display all floors
This post was edited by KIyer at 2015-10-6 18:39
Ted180 Post time: 2015-10-6 00:13
The US certainly HELPED create the original Al Qaida by using the extreme Islamists against the Ru ...
The Americans and Russians will both benefit (the Russians more) by the end of Islamic extremism. So, I think US-Russian cooperation is inevitable (but will not be advertised).

After willfully creating mischief consistently like this over many decades around the world and continuing to do so, I don't think the mischief makers will have a change of heart. What do think will cause them to have this change? Your last line seems to be a naive wistful wish, rather than anything based on the reality of the issue thus far.
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-10-6 16:38:59 |Display all floors

ISIS is a Western CIA fighting organization, and Russia is knowingly  attacking the Western CIA.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-10-7 10:12:12 |Display all floors
KIyer Post time: 2015-10-6 03:31
After willfully creating mischief consistently like this over many decades around the world and co ...

There is a wishful element. But when Putin persuaded Obama not to bomb Assad and then Obama held back most of the support for the rebels, I figured some kind of deal had been made. Of course, Obama still has to conceal that to avoid harming Clinton's chances in Nov 2016. You must remember that there are terrific pressures from right-wing Republicans and Zionists to attack Assad. The Zionist intent is to keep the Arabs divided between Sunni and Shia. Their greatest fear is that Obama will force them to accept a Palestinian state. The problem in Ukraine interrupted this cooperation. I don't know what was behind that. It seems Putin suspected that NATO was going to move into Ukraine. NATO hasn't. So, now, cooperation between Obama and Putin may become politically possible for both leaders. But it is very difficult for Obama. This is my (hopeful) interpretation of events.
What's on your mind...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.