Author: futsanglung

medicine in China   [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2015-10-10 07:32:46 |Display all floors
Laowai2? Post time: 2015-10-10 05:21
Good to see some of the same characters still on here after my hiatus. I'm fortunate in not requirin ...

Sadly this is an all too common problem but you need to be tough and to put your foot down and say enough is enough, they will not stop you leaving although you will probably have to sign a form to say thay are not to blame if you die, the problem seems worse in smaller cities, here in Shanghai, on the whole, I have had few problems.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-10-10 09:44:24 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2015-10-9 07:58
100% sure, I have had disc surgery on both my lower back and neck and have had numerous scans and  ...

I found that acupuncture helped my back for about 2 hours. But whenever they stuck a needle to the lh side of my spine it was uncomfortable for some reason so I switched to a heat lamp followed by electrotherapy. The lamp was just as good as the acupuncture at reducing pain by relaxing the muscles for a couple of hours. The electrotherapy exercises the muscles after the use of a lamp so promotes healing. You will probably find that your body is compensating for the discomfort of the arthritis and your muscles will be affected as well so heat lamps and electrotherapy are worth a try. So I would recommend them for a week as a trial and if it helps then invest in them and you can self administer at home.  The magnetic bracelets, if they work, are probably only useful for mild cases of arthritis.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-10-10 10:02:37 |Display all floors
Laowai2? Post time: 2015-10-10 05:21
Good to see some of the same characters still on here after my hiatus. I'm fortunate in not requirin ...

My wife reviews the qualifications of the doctors - see the boards with the photographs of the doctors in the hospital. The appointments with senior professors cost about 50 rmb in the largest teaching hospital in Sichuan. They don't necessarily talk much English so wise to have someone with you to translate.

Your experience could be worse. Apparently in the USA after surgery you can get visits from people in white coats that you have never encountered before and asked how you feel today. That privilege can cost several hundred dollars a visit and be independent of the doctors on your surgical team. When I last had surgery in China there a group of 15 nurses paying me a daily visit in addition to the surgical team doing their rounds until my wife banned non essential lao wai watching. I did get a visit from the hospital's CEO who gave me a bunch of flowers. Surprisingly the flowers did not appear on the bill.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2015-10-10 11:07:09 |Display all floors
fatdragon Post time: 2015-10-10 09:44
I found that acupuncture helped my back for about 2 hours. But whenever they stuck a needle to the ...

The accupuncture usually makes it WORSE for the first few hours but gives two to four weeks improvement after that.

The needles are also connected to an electronic pulse machine so I guess that is also a form of electotherapy and while being treated i am also under a heat lamp. At home heat will help for a couple of hours but no more.

Next week I am sure i will have problems as we are at the Canton Fair so i will be either sitting on a badly designed chair or standing for long periods without too much movement, neither are good for me. I suppose we must expect problems as we age

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-10-10 11:09:00 |Display all floors
fatdragon Post time: 2015-10-10 10:02
My wife reviews the qualifications of the doctors - see the boards with the photographs of the doc ...

Were you asked to supply a banner for the bosses office that says what a wonderful job they did? I was asked for this even BEFORE the op!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-10-10 15:52:53 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2015-10-10 11:09
Were you asked to supply a banner for the bosses office that says what a wonderful job they did? I ...

No I never had that.

Did they ask you before or after the treatment?
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-10-10 16:07:01 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2015-10-10 11:07
The accupuncture usually makes it WORSE for the first few hours but gives two to four weeks improv ...

I now have a sophisticated chair that has a pair of independently sprung back rests to support my back and it seems to help. Not cheap.

Yes acupuncture coupled with electrotherapy is going to be pretty similar in that it will stimulate the muscles. Wouldn't want to let the wife loose with the needles though.

Another alternative I encountered in the UK was ultrasound which a physiotherapist used after I spent three months with my arm in a plaster cast and all the arm and shoulder muscles were locked in position. I haven't seen it in China though.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.