Views: 527|Replies: 4

Low salaries leave expat teachers bottom of class[3]- Chinadaily.com.cn [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-7-23 10:35:09 |Display all floors

A language teacher from Italy (right) chats with a student who plans to study in Milan. [Photo by Chen Xiaodong / for China Daily]

Market forces

In 2014, SAFEA cancelled the national salary standard and authorized its branches in different provinces and regions to set their own standards based on local social and economic conditions.

"The salaries paid to foreigners will be decide ...

--------Click here for more information--------

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-23 10:35:10 |Display all floors
Salaries themselves are not so bad, always.  But foreign teachers cannot retire in China, so we need to plan on returning to our home countries or retiring elsewhere.  Different countries have different pension systems, so individual situations will, of course, vary.  But it is difficult to save large sums of money in China by American standards.  In addition, American teachers have to pay 15% of our salaries in taxes to the US government.  None of this is China's fault, but it does affect foreign teachers and our decisions.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-30 14:25:54 |Display all floors
The best thing foreign teachers can do is use a service like GoGlobaljob.com . These kinds of services help to make sure people are getting paid the most they can.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-30 15:06:54 |Display all floors
When it comes to pay for teaching, I'll always remember what our accounting professor, who went into teaching only after retirement, said. He said, "I hope I'm worth more than what they're paying me here." This was at a well-known Canadian university.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-31 08:29:43 |Display all floors
Do all of them have qualifications a English teachers or most if not all are just native English speakers ?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.