Ling's arrest a vital lesson for officials   [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2015-7-27 12:38:29 |Display all floors
Panda heavy page here

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-27 12:40:02 |Display all floors
Kbay Post time: 2015-7-22 19:46
I care you dumb Anglos ain't getting a proper modern day education.

I see you enjoyed your English/Chinese education

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-27 12:41:08 |Display all floors
Newtown Post time: 2015-7-24 16:44
I wonder if any of these people would care for the obscene language which you use.

That's how he talks to the vending machine that raised him

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-27 16:41:48 |Display all floors
huaqiao Post time: 2015-7-27 12:15
You: You can fight for an ideal, you might not truly know what the end result of that ideal could  ...

This column is in the "China Daily", most articles such as this one are about China. That's why I chose the example provided to you. If you want instances of propaganda being exercised elsewhere from Albania to Alaska, from Zimbabwe to Yemen I would be happy to oblige if I have any inkling about the topic being discussed.

You can say what  you like about the brainwashing of students from any country on earth if you think that suits your purpose. Again my point of relevancy was about mainland China, comrades in arms to those energetic and fun loving students a stone's throw from Shenzhen. If you want to apparently believe that nearly all tertiary students around the world are brainwashed then so be it, the HK students may have endured a different brand of washing (sic) to their mainland counterparts as evinced by their enthusiastic and prolonged street protests.

I have stayed in China for a good many years as well as visiting many diverse areas of the country, including HK about ten times. I might be like the frog in a well according to you but I've eaten frog on several occasions in China and am familiar with the fabled stories about a frog climbing over others to get to the top. Any other comparisons from the animal kingdom ?

You prefer a hard boild egg, good for you but as I intimated previously you still need to crack the shell to eat it. Of course I continue to "see things from my own perspective", does not everybody else do likewise ? How can I see from the perspective of the pope, the queen of England, a Sichuan farmer, a Shanghainese business woman, a hairdresser from Harbin, a goat farmer from Guangdong, a fisherman from Fuzhou, a zealot from Zhongshan, a butcher from Beijing, a wine merchant from Wenzhou, a tennis player
from Tianjin ?

"Human rights is not a simple black and white matter." Neither is the writing of cliches. "One man's meat is another man's poison." Maybe that is why some become vegetarians but what on earth is its relevance to this topic ? What you are arguing is basically that everyone is different; thus I can have a different viewpoint to you as to the reasons for the protests in Hong Kong and the impact of the resulting "clampdown" upon these same protests by the HK government. You argue that the protesters did not go through the "proper" channels but I could equally say that the criteria for demcoracy being imposed on HK by Beijing is also not proper.

"In some countries, this kind of protest wouldn't even survive a day..." - mainland China would be one example of such a country ( sure there may well be others ) where the protest would be lucky to last a single hour. I understand that several of the HK protest organisers are indeed facing legal action against them.

"What would any government have done?" Again, as illustrated before, some governments past and present may have toppled and fallen. That's the whole point of the "contest" - if the people power of the protesters is sufficient then the government may be forced to resign or to accede to the demands of the protest. Such public demonstrations are quite commonplace events in HK and even mainland China has witnessed instances of the demands of a great mass of people causing the alteration of existing government policies e.g. anti-pollution issues.  

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2015-7-27 20:56:22 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-28 11:17:32 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2015-7-27 20:56
We are getting off topic, Huaqiao, and I won't oblige since it is up to you to understand, not u ...

If you read carefully, the economy is just one of the considerations I brought up. Since we are off topic, we will let it rest.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-28 11:58:49 |Display all floors
Newtown Post time: 2015-7-27 16:41
This column is in the "China Daily", most articles such as this one are about China. That's why I  ...

You claim that you have stayed in China for years but that doesn't mean you know everything about China. If you cannot see from others' perspective, then you cannot be the one who is able to have a solution to any given situation. Of course, you are used to be individualistic so it is hardly surprising. People like you think you know best even if you do not. You have to have your say, even if it doesn't make sense or is not workable.

My point is what works best for other countries may not be good for China; and there is no perfect solution, only the best solution. You have your right to say your piece, I have the right to challenge it if I disagree.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.