Views: 11953|Replies: 19

Is reward more effective than punishment?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-7-10 11:31:35 |Display all floors
Many a child developmental professional will advise parents to try to ignore children's bad behavior and reward their good behavior. As most parent's know, this is sometimes easier said than done. After all, bad behavior can be so irritating that it is difficult not to respond to, that is, to ignore. It takes real discipline.

Some parents might object to ignoring bad behavior because they see it, understandably perhaps, as their responsibility to correct the child's misbehavior. Ignoring it may seem like tolerating if not rewarding it and thus failing to do one's duty as a parent.

Is reward more effective than punishment?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-10 11:42:12 |Display all floors
i think both are necessary on educating children!
Children should know what is right or wrong when they are growing up.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-10 13:12:47 |Display all floors
well -  people would go to extremes when they hesitate ..  
just like this .  reward and punishment is both important .  
so don't go to extreme to negate other things ..

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-10 13:24:48 |Display all floors
Adult human societies are built on laws and the judicial system. Penalties exist not to threaten the innocent ..... but to punish the guilty and to ensure society can progress ... the innocent can be safe and develop to become strong.
To have no penalties for a child's  wrongdoing is tantamount to conditioning children that as adults.. they are able to get away with crime. A foolish endeavor.  
Reward? = It depends on your role and relationship with the child in question. You seriously do not expect a teacher to give out presents to a class of 40 students so they perform well.
It fosters GREED. Mentally, the child assumes that study and effort put in is done for material reward. No reward = No effort ... without realizing the effort is for his/her own future.  
A parent can reward a child for their effort with more meaningful things ... eg. spending more time interacting with them, bringing them out , going on exercise with them, sightseeing. Talking and discussing issues with them. Personally, I do not favour material gifts toys etc .... it fosters greed. Parents could put cash discreetly in a child's savings though and provide an allowance. The concept of saving for the future is a good one and teaches responsibility with money.   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-10 14:22:44 |Display all floors
In my world,no punishment,only encouragement
In the mind of our adult,children are small,but i wanna to remind,in fact,the thought for them are very mature,ever thinking more than our adult notice
If the make some wrong,what we should do is to ask them don't do that again,they will understand
This is true.If you don't believe,you can try and you will receive big surprise.
Don't always take them as childhood!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-10 14:37:28 |Display all floors
saicle Post time: 2015-7-10 14:22
In my world,no punishment,only encouragement
In the mind of our adult,children are small,but i wanna ...

Yeah, Child is small, but not stupid.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2015-7-10 14:40:12 |Display all floors
Carrot is better than the stick

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.