Views: 12794|Replies: 50

Should careless parents be punished for their child's death?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-7-8 09:23:29 |Display all floors
It was reported that a Chinese boy has tragically died after he was accidentally locked in a car for six hours in sweltering heat.

The 3-year-old boy, named only as Xiaotian, died from heat exhaustion after his parents did not realise he was still in the car in Hunan province in central China .
According to  the news report, such careless parents would face legal penalty in  US or other countries, but in China we just blame the negligence of the parents on words, no real punishment would impose on them as we think the parents have got the harsh hit from the lost of their kids. Ironically, the punishment does work for reducing those incidents caused by careless parents.
So should China also introduce such punitive measures by law?  Should the parents be punished if their kids die or get injuried due to their mindlessness?

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2015-7-8 09:50:47 |Display all floors
This post was edited by robert237 at 2015-7-7 19:04

This happens all the time in the US. The parents are usually given a slap on the wrist but sometimes
the child is taken and given to child services where it will probably end up in a foster home.
They are starting to take it more seriously though; especially if the child died.
Every summer the news is full of stories like this and also advice not to leave children or pets in a car
unattended.
Yes, parents should be held responsible. A car left in the summer sun can become unsurvivable in
less than an hour.
Infants are the most vulnerable and less able to escape. A car left in 26 C sunny weather can reach 50 C
in about an hour. A fatal situation for an infant.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2015-7-8 09:57:06 |Display all floors
Infants are the most vulnerable and least able to escape.

If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-8 12:02:15 |Display all floors
As a new mother, I think of my baby every second and worry his safety, both daily care and food.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2015-7-8 14:51:12 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2015-7-8 09:50
This happens all the time in the US. The parents are usually given a slap on the wrist but sometimes ...

Instead of doing your usual " but it is worse in the US" please answer the last line of the OP.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2015-7-8 14:52:10 |Display all floors
How any parent can forget their 3 year old for 6 hours is beyond me, yes they should be punished, at the very least it is manslaughter

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-8 15:57:48 |Display all floors
I think manslaughter can't be exactly describe parents' action for this situation.
If there is not better in US to set punish to parents, I don't think it's a good solution.

Mixing into human feeling and sensibility, it's not easy to prevent by any one method. I have to express my regret to this couple.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.