Views: 7165|Replies: 36

Is Foreign Aid to developing Countries doing more harm than good? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-6-3 01:10:54 |Display all floors
This post was edited by eddieturkson at 2015-6-4 10:29

Developed countries have for over decades poured trillions of dollars into developing countries through foreign aid. There is a school of thought which argues that aid from developed countries to developing countries is not having the desired impact that it should and therefore foreign aid to developing countries is causing more harm than good. They argue that foreign aid fuels corruption and makes developing countries lazy to fend for themselves. They also argue that a lot of these aid monies have strings attached- which enables developed countries to reap from developing countries more than they sowed. They however stress that they are not against humanitarian aid which they believe is essential but rahter are against aid to support develpopment.

Another school of thought which is against these arguments posed above argue that even though foreign aid isnt having the desired impact, it is better than not providing aid at all. They argue that most of Africa for example still need aid as a transition to move away from dependency to self reliance. They argue that developing countries cannot easily wean themselves from aid abruptly and therefore cutting off aid would take time.

The question others have asked is, so when and what is the exit strategy for developing countries to wean themselves from foreign aid. There seems to be no exit stratey and foreign countries continue to pour aid into developing countries. The question that has been widely asked at many international forums and debates is "Is foreign aid to developing countries doing more harm than good?

"Aid money is money taken from the poor in developed countries and given to the rich in developing countries"- Peter Thomas Bauer

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2015-6-3 09:18:43 |Display all floors
a lot of aid money is spent on local businesses in developed countries purchasing their products and sending them as aid, or in hiring some 'experts' to give expert advice to developing countries, as part of the aid. There is really no true philanthropy in politics between nations, except in disaster relief.
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-3 10:03:59 |Display all floors
KIyer Post time: 2015-6-3 09:18
a lot of aid money is spent on local businesses in developed countries purchasing their products and ...

From your assertion, I'm tempted to say that foreign aid for development is somewhat a scam

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2015-6-3 10:13:12 |Display all floors
This post was edited by KIyer at 2015-6-4 16:31
eddieturkson Post time: 2015-6-3 12:03
From your assertion, I'm tempted to say that foreign aid for development is somewhat a scam

it is! look carefully how the money is spent and the truth will make you mad
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2015-6-3 19:56:49 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-3 22:54:32 |Display all floors
I feel there are much more effective ways of supporting developing economies than through the use of badly audited aid programs, for example through the reduction of trade barriers, particularly in agriculture.

I'd much rather there was a fixed and significant pot of money that could be made available for disaster relief, so that massive and coordinated relief efforts could be applied where needed. For example the UK has a foreign aid budget of £12 billion. Not sure how it's used, what it's used for, or how effective the aid is in bringing real change or benefit. But...a large chunk of £12 billion sent to Nepal  for restructuring, food, water, sanitation, tents etc...would have had very tangible and immediete benefits.

Foreign Aid budgets would  have far more public support if used in an obviously constructive manner - right now public perception is that they benefit corrupt political elites in developing countries, not the people of those countries.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-4 10:23:39 |Display all floors
This post was edited by eddieturkson at 2015-6-4 10:27
seneca Post time: 2015-6-3 19:56
Unless you provide specific examples and set them in relation to the total amount of foreign aid a ...

I really appreciate your comment and immense contribution. First let me re-emphasize that proponents who are against the aid syndrome are not against humanitarian aid which you argued very well for. They are against aid that goes to support the budgets of African leaders who in turn misappropriate those funds. You sort of mentioned only the good or advantages of aid to developing countries.

You lost track of the fact that aid for example has been used as an engine by the international financial institutions under the guise of scrupulous structural adjustment programs to do great damage to for example African countries especially in the social sector.

What most proponents against aid are calling for is fair trade deals to allow developing countries to compete fairly instead developed countries continue to heavily subsidize their industries for example the agricultural sector making it impossible for competitors in developing countries to even attempt exporting local produce. They believe if there were fair trade deals and negotiations developing countries wouldn’t be so dependent on foreign aid. But anyway I get from your argument that aid has done more good than harm.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.