Author: Caged

Why is English compulsory in China's public schools? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-5-26 18:46:06 |Display all floors
First, you seem to have a low opinion of the Chinese as a people, with quite a few caricaturizations.

Secondly, you talk of the Chinese as being insular and then propose limiting their leverage to English-speaking countries. Is that not itself part of the reason for this supposed insularity? And what waste of resources? Hungary and the UK seem to be managing just fine with such choice. Are you suggesting that the UK should follow the Chinese example and force all schools to teach the same second language so as to "not waste resources"? Would you recommend the same for the UK or is this a case of do as we say not as we do?

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2015-5-26 19:07:18 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-26 19:13:10 |Display all floors
I remember a half-hearted attempt to introduce Esperanto to us in school

It never occurred to me at the time there was a political situation called the European Union

It now makes sense, given the context

It is still really bat sh*t crazy
(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2015-5-26 19:14:17 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-26 19:24:06 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-26 19:30:35 |Display all floors
You will find no language in nature. If language were genetic, we would not need to learn a language. The fact that we need to systematically learn a language is itself proof of its artificial it by definition. Thus all languages are artificial.
And yes, there is a difference between second and foreign. I was just generically combining them.

As a linguist, you must certainly be aware that the first language is taught most inefficiently. The only reason one learns it well is:

1. Incentive. He speaks no other language and needs to communicate.

2. Exposure. He's learning the language during every waking hour and practically everyone is his teacher. And

3. Free time. He does not work so spends his days at school learning the language.

How do you reproduce that in a second language classsroom.

As for the teacher knowing the student's langusge, I'be always found a textbook and dictionary in a language I know teaching me a target language to be far more effective than a book in the target language designed to teach native speaking children. UT seems that according to your theory, it would be far more effective for me to use unilingual books in the target language with no understanding of its meaning nor explanation.

Given that the mother tongue is the most inefficiently learnt, no one in his right mind would want to replicate that learning style. Instead, he'd want to exploit the knowledge of his first language to help him learn a second languagw, no?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-26 19:32:50 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.