Author: smuffy

Which is more important: diploma or ability?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-5-31 16:55:57 |Display all floors
Interesting topic. Foreigners with a degree are sent here to teach English. It doesn't matter
if the degree is in physical education or anything else totally irrelevant to being able to teach English, they can't string two sentences together and have no idea what an adjective is.  I've encountered this.
I can't go into precise details but for the past few months have been lumbered with a "colleague" who is so dim, stupid and incompetent he couldn't find his arse if it were firing out a shit storm.
This is the result of the Chinese being hooked on "degrees" which any dumb cluck can get in Aus with assistance from knowledgable friends and family.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-1 07:35:32 |Display all floors
Laine Post time: 2015-5-31 16:55
Interesting topic. Foreigners with a degree are sent here to teach English. It doesn't matter
if the ...

I agree requiring a degree, any degree and not checking up on it's authenticity is absurd.

Someone asked me about my PMP Certification.  Which has an allowance to certify people with or without degrees.  Both sets of people have to pass an exam with 200 questions,  both of them need to prove they have related work experience 4500 hours if you have a degree and 7500 if you do not.  Major corporations rely on this certification and credit the professional experience as equivalent to having a degree.

Back to the question I was asked about my PMP certification a peer at work was not certified and did not want to take the time to get certified.  He asked me if I thought that a PMP Certified Project Manager was better than an uncertified  Project Manager.   My answer was no there is much more to consider than that however Ron (me) Certified   is better than Ron uncertified.  Because I exposed myself to the theory and practice required to pass the exam and will no doubt use some of the material learned at some point on some project, if not all.

The same is true of having a University Degree - It improves you over you with out the degree, holding the degree in and of it self does not make a person better or more suited for a role than another person. Ask any field expert or professional and they will tell you aptitude, attitude and experience are the true measures. That stated if the two are equal in all other respects the one with the degree will likely get the job.
Attitude : Life is 10 percent what happens to you,  and 90 percent how you react to it.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2015-7-6 11:01:46 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2015-5-11 10:14
Competence of course.
I've met people with advanced degrees who couldn't plan a trip to the bathroom ...

Have you a university degree?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-6 11:02:12 |Display all floors
1584austin Post time: 2015-5-12 01:29
Common sense

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-6 11:04:34 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2015-5-12 13:03
I don't trust Chinese diplomas; cheating in exams is widespread, there was even a report of a school ...

My wife had a Chinese medical degree it meant nothing in Australia, so she had to return to university to get a Western medical degree so she could practice medicine in Australia

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-6 12:07:01 |Display all floors
Good luck everyone when visiting self made doctors and lawyers.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.