Author: smuffy

Which is more important: diploma or ability?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-5-12 13:03:06 |Display all floors
I don't trust Chinese diplomas; cheating in exams is widespread, there was even a report of a school helping their MBA students cheat with electroinc devices.
In any case, Chinese are very good at passing exams to obtain whatever certs or diplomas they want, but that does not mean they have acquired the skills as shown in their diplomas, it only shows that they are good at passing exams!
Take translation diploma for instance. Many translators have that diploma but look at their translations, unintelligible, Chinese English requiring a native English speaking proof-reader to correct or else foreigners won't understand!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-12 15:25:27 |Display all floors
diploma is the basis, you have the base, then you can compete with others.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2015-5-12 18:10:27 |Display all floors
1584austin Post time: 2015-5-12 01:29
Common sense

That is lacking on CD

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2015-5-12 18:11:28 |Display all floors
Common sense and ability beat bits of paper every day

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member

Post time 2015-5-12 18:41:47 |Display all floors
I only go for a proven background with a relevant certificate when hiring....
Diplomas only guarantee the applicant will expect special treatment, and double the salary we would be paying for someone who would probably work harder, and give us better results....
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-14 09:31:02 |Display all floors
I think part of that answer depends on who you're asking. If you're looking for a job - a diploma is important. If you're looking for a promotion, you've probably already proven your ability. So it's really both.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-14 14:23:41 |Display all floors
Yes in China particularly a degree is like a licence to drive you need it  for a very high ranking job, but looking around me in life i can see the my fellow students back in the old days at school, it was mostly the kids at the bottom of the class in scholastic  ability that actually were more sucesfull in business and life.  Could it be that  there should in actual be a  ' DICS'   or an honors degree.  It stands for a degree in common sense.  Yes life has  challenges but it is the person who uses the commonsense approach that will be sucesful   that  in fact is life itself "life is a road of commonsense with detours on the way for us all"    Maybe we can use some degrees as toilet paper?  

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.