Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor July's Best Writer 2012 June's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2015-4-7 20:20:57 |Display all floors
GlobalWatch Post time: 2015-4-6 11:02
"I find many Chinese to be extremely material, more so than British at least. "

Can' agree more!  ...

Your talking about big city girls.
Most girls here have simple wants and dreams.
Money is second.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-4-7 20:28:52 |Display all floors
QuatreVingtSept Post time: 2015-4-6 13:44
Idealism and naiviety simply are insufficient explanations for his bizarre bit. He is upset by Ame ...

So if I was "white" you would have no problem with that?
What is wrong being proud of your history?
Everyone should take pride to where they come from, but when it comes to Chinese....
your rule changes.

You admit the US is not perfect.
I admit China is not either (read the op).
So what is your problem of me being here?

I shared some personal insights about me so you could be more "tame" with your replies.
Yet you still want to bash me for connecting with my past.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-4-7 20:30:21 |Display all floors
UYA Post time: 2015-4-7 20:20
Your talking about big city girls.
Most girls here have simple wants and dreams.
Money is second.

I have to kind of agree with QuatreVingt here on this one.

I wouldn't call you a racist because 'race' is the wrong word here.  Any race can be american.

But it is obvious that you have a very negative view of americans that goes beyond the normal gripes.  That is obvious when you speak of materialism and comparing the two countries.  You have other threads as well where you take the very darkest image of american people and put it against a very idealistic and pure fantasy version of chinese people.

I am an american woman who has never been materialistic.  I grew up on farms in the midwest.  The americans you speak of are not the americans I grew up with or know.  There is more to america than wall street.   Have you even traveled to the midwest?

I'm not sure if you spout these views to try to get greater acceptance among anti-americans or if your parents taught you to think in this way.  But your character assassinations of americans and your generalizations are highly offensive.

I think you can find ways to praise china without dragging the american people in the mud to do it.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-4-8 08:57:28 |Display all floors
UYA Post time: 2015-4-7 20:28
So if I was "white" you would have no problem with that?
What is wrong being proud of your history ...

There is a double standard in the US, as I'm sure you know when it comes to racial 'pride'.

Given the history and white supremacist groups, being proud in being 'white' is synonymous with being a racist.

When I was reading your post, one of my thoughts were 'Didn't anyone teach you that its arrogant and racist to make better than types of comparisons?'   But maybe not.  As a white american, these are things drilled into our heads as not to do.

But when it comes to other races, cultures, religions, etc, its the complete opposite.  My bf is native american.    For him, racial pride is encouraged.  He can make statements I would never dare to say.

So maybe its just a matter of perspective.  What you are saying would be seen as terribly racist coming from a white person in america.  There is a knee-jerk reaction when it comes to certain themes like this to call it racism.   Maybe you grew up with different values where its okay to have pride in your race / ethnicity.  

Personally, I hate the double-standard.  Its unintentionally racist.  Its basically saying that other races need some handicap in order to level everything out.  I don't believe in white supremacy, so I don't see myself 'above' anyone.  I treat all people the same - the way I want to be treated.  

I think in some cases where racial pride has been encouraged, it just leads to more racism and separatism.  I've struggled with the black community with a mixed daughter.   I can't tell you how much grief she has gone through and basically told she had to 'choose' which race she wanted to be.  And a choice that is not black - will mark you as some traitor.  The whole one-drop rule, which was imposed by white racists, is now policed by black racists.  Go figure.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-4-8 09:43:58 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2015-4-7 20:30
I have to kind of agree with QuatreVingt here on this one.

I wouldn't call you a racist because ' ...

It has not about the people, but the "system".
I'm not a "hateful' person to be called a "racist".
I balance my threads and posts with problems China has and by no means is it perfect.

Living here I'm trying to see the "whole" of what the world has become and the role America plays in it.
It is no where close to the smut I was led to believe.
China's problems are more "internal".
America's problems are more "external".

I'm not a fan of people dictating to other countries how they should live and what government it should have.
When the US interferes on the behalf of corporate interests, overthrowing and killing leaders, I have a huge problem with that.
It deminishes the respect the US once had.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-4-8 09:56:35 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2015-4-8 08:57
There is a double standard in the US, as I'm sure you know when it comes to racial 'pride'.

Given ...

We share the same thoughts

Race should have no bearing on relationships between people.
Being called a "racist" just because I'm Chinese gets under my skin.

We should all want a better world and I don't see it coming anytime soon.
There are people who enjoy and want discourse in the world, pitting race, religions and governments against each other.
We should be finding ways to connect with each other and find a common cause to rally people behind.
Ending poverty would go a long way to solve problems in the world.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.