Author: UYA

Why I believe in China   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-4-2 18:31:59 |Display all floors
seanboyce88 Post time: 2015-3-25 09:25
"I find the people there becoming more and more material." -  I am just curious, now I I have no ide ...

I believe in the people, but not so much the leaders . . .

Israel Goldstein
New York, NY 10031
israelgoldstein35@gmail.com

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-4-2 20:21:22 |Display all floors
UYA Post time: 2015-3-25 23:34
You misunderstand my words.
Just as America has become more and more material.
China is too.

If " you know who you are" I honestly wouldn't be asking.

And based on what, do you believe that China can become less material? From what I have seen China is more material than the states and it will take a lot to shift this mindset, It has basically become a new modernist capitalist superpower. Changing to a non-materialistic society will take nothing short of complete upheaval or a good few decades of brainwashing. You live in Harbin, how can people on 3000 a month be walking around with Iphone 6+ ?

I do not disagree with what the CPC has done for the Chinese people, I just thinking that it's a sort of get out of jail free clause putting the ills of the world at America's (or the west, still not sure) feet. They are not without blame, sure. But many modern issues of China, individualism (as in separation of people from community), materialism, apathy...these weren't imported. There is more going on here than just corruption too, rampant profiteering, exploitation of the masses, wage gap between rich and poor, divorce rate....just like the many of the western nations. China's societal issues are in fact compounding with it's growing economy. Such is the price you pay for modernism. When you put the economy first and the people second, like many western countries have done, you only have yourself to blame for the issues that arise with a modernist nation. Economy is the scale we judge countries by, sadly however it overlooks the loss of society, the qualities of people in order to achieve it's ambitions.

China is in a unique position however, right now it still has the potential to change things but the other issue is the sheer scale of any change in China. It's probably better to treat China more like a continent than a country. Trying to change over 1 billion people's thoughts, habits, way of living is going to be an uphill struggle even for the smallest nation. It will take a lot of money, a lot of time, and a lot of taxing of the rich, something I am sure they won't be happy with.
You know that every time I try to go
Where I really want to be
It's already where I am
'Cause I'm already there

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-4-2 20:23:48 |Display all floors
UYA Post time: 2015-3-28 12:06
I'm a Chinese American.

you should read up on neo-colonialism. The concept isn't the exact same, but many of the qualities of colonialism still exist.
It's already where I am
'Cause I'm already there

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-4-2 20:26:52 |Display all floors
IsralGoldstein1 Post time: 2015-4-2 18:31
I believe in the people, but not so much the leaders . . .

I don't know man....no offence but you guys in the states actually VOTED for Bush...

What use is democracy when the population are idiots. And I don't criticise America...it's the same on the European side for many countries. Democracy combined with a culture of education of the system and what it means to be a citizen...that would be better for me.

The lack of political knowledge of some people is truly appalling, politics has turned into a one/two issue popularity party for the masses...look at UKIP in Britain.
It's already where I am
'Cause I'm already there

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-4-2 20:33:32 |Display all floors
seanboyce88 Post time: 2015-4-2 07:26
I don't know man....no offence but you guys in the states actually VOTED for Bush...

What use is  ...

EASY now no need for hi blood pressure i'm a republican and i voted for obama as well now i feel guilty like hell hopefully things will turn around in 2016  
a man who uses his hands is a laborer. one who uses his hands and his mind is a craftsman. but he who uses his hands, his mind, and his heart, is an artist...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-4-2 20:37:05 |Display all floors
youknowhat Post time: 2015-4-2 20:33
EASY now no need for hi blood pressure i'm a republican and i voted for obama as well now i feel g ...

Well, it's not like you have much choice in the 2 party system.

My point is though, people vote based on stupid crap that doesn't matter. In Britain, farage says something like "If we get into power, we will reintroduce smoking in pubs" and that earns him a lot of voters who vote because they want to "smoke in a pub" and pass it off as the reinstating of british culture, with no concept as to how culture actually works at all...

I have lost faith in many leaders...and many of the people sadly aren't much better.
It's already where I am
'Cause I'm already there

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-4-2 20:54:18 |Display all floors
seanboyce88 Post time: 2015-4-2 07:26

What use is  ...

The Bush voters are demographically dying.

Israel Goldstein
New York, NY 10031
israelgoldstein35@gmail.com

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.