Views: 4418|Replies: 7

The Filipino government decides to save its citizen... [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-7-21 01:03:39 |Display all floors
while just a few weeks ago, the Korean had to die..

And Washington is going to examine US bilateral ties with Manila....

Why do people have to make such difficult decisions ?

Personally I am glad that Filipino did not have to die. Am I wrong ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-7-21 01:30:44 |Display all floors

I am happy to see the Filipino hostage has been freed,

but giving in to the demands of hostage-takers will cause more kidnappings.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-7-21 03:53:58 |Display all floors

to: Hooligan - filipino

Once the criminals know the doors are open, they'll come back again and again.

I have heard rumors that the victim is from the presidents hometown (maybe even a relation) and may cause political consequences if allowed to be executed - the price people pay for power - sacrafice the many for one.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-7-21 04:23:53 |Display all floors

holligan

how can it be good that 5 crazy muslims(presumabley) dictated the philli's foreign policy?  I don't see any good coming out of this.  Especially since the philli's have their own terrorists in their backyard.  Spain did the same thing.  Do you think they are still not hunting down these terrorists?  Do you think they are not spending man hours and money on these people?  No, of course not, they are still fighting, but they chose to fight within their borders.  It's better to fight them on their land, then to wait for them to come to you.  What do you think?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-7-21 09:44:54 |Display all floors

Thank God for sanity.

At last we see some sanity returning to the political landscape. I was doubtful all along as to whether the Philippine government would run the risk of getting off side with the Americans. Gloria Aroyo has restored my faith that human decency and compassion is still alive and well. I am so happy to hear the freeing of the hostage.
The 'coalition of the willing ' is now more suitably called the ' coalition of the wailing" . They were never more than a rag tag of wannabes who are there for the money and kudos. Now that the ' mission' is exposed to be a hoax, nations with back bones are leaving. Eg Spain, Honduras and now the Phillipines. The ones who are left are feeling lonesome somewhat. Of course they have to push an unconvincing line that anyone leaving is ' giving in to the terrorists' etc etc. The coalition has also been 'sending messages' to the insurgents. How about receiving messages for a change. The message from Iraq loud and clear is that the Iraqi people are determined to stand up and fight. Their message is that they would rather die standing up than to live on their knees.
Viva Phillipines.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-7-21 09:53:20 |Display all floors

The message from Iraq

loud and clear is that *some* Iraqi people are determined to stand up and fight.

The majority of Iraqis wish they would sit down...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-7-21 15:54:08 |Display all floors

mikeghet: that's not how I see it.

I don't see 5 crazy men dictate philli's policy. I see a country save her citizen's life from some crazy people. Phil's  51 (or 81) soldiers may make some representative presence but I doubt they can contribute anything positive. (you kill one, you see ten coming...you want to kill all ?)

I am glad with Aroyo's decision, whether that guy comes from her village etc does not really matter. (oh yes, aroyo did speak in her village dialect to this guy)

In lieu of soldiers, Malaysia sends medical teams to Iraq. And I have never heard malaysians have any problems with those countries in the middle east.

"Re: It's better to fight them on their land, then to wait for them to come to you. "

Well, it is difficult to say, just look at the "collateral" damages in Iraq. Who am I to say one life is more worthy than the other ? While I agree that we should spray cockroaches in their dwellings, I don't think "fight" is the way to eradicate terrorists.

The problem with this war is people start categorising themselves to the extremes: muslims, non-muslims, terrorists, non-terrorists, murderers, victims, friends, enemies. When it is so clear one group is the entire opposite of the other, it makes sense to kill...which does not make sense at all if everyone can just call himself human.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.