Author: smuffy

Should children kneel down for parents?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-1-21 21:58:15 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Ronny at 2015-1-22 02:14

I think the Idea of showing respect is one thing, but subservience is another, which from my side is what this kneeling looks like.
I admire Chinese traditions, mostly, though some are of course a little strange to me.
But, in some cases the parents take too much advantage of this system, and do treat their kids like servants that should obey like a slave, And I know this from experience not hearsay.
Children do need to show respect to their parents, and parent to their children, and added to this is love and affection.
I'm a little bit wrong and your a little bit right.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-22 00:28:43 |Display all floors
The other thing I noticed, is that some of the parents look very uncomfortable, is this show of respect orchestrated by the schools and put upon the parents and kids who feel they must follow the schools dictates. Is this done in all schools???
I'm a little bit wrong and your a little bit right.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-22 08:59:58 |Display all floors
No, this is inappropriate. There are a lot of ways to show gratitude, just not this kind. Personally, this is too much...not saying that our parents are not worth it, just, don't be so formalized...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-4-12 09:32:45 |Display all floors
Kneeling = Fillial respect? HAH!
Make it compulsory for the young to look after their aged parents.
Legalize it! Why not put up a poll see how many agree with this?
Anything else is just a trivial.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2015-4-12 19:48:01 |Display all floors
smuffy Post time: 2015-1-15 10:21

What do the parents get out of that. I'd be embarrassed if my kids had done that

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-11 16:11:40 |Display all floors
The Chinese like to perform rituals in public.  This kneeling before parents is just another such rituals for show, there is no real feeling of love or piety in the children, and if there is, it should not be expressed in this manner.  Most of the time, the children perform this ritual because they are forced to, or because everyone in school does it, and Chinese people are followers, so they just do it to be with the crowd.  It's very artificial and contrived.  In the real world, Chinese children don't obey their parents, often behaving like little emperors, screaming and shouting at their parents, sometimes even kicking them in public, if they don't get what they demand!  There are countless stories of children behaving badly towards their parents.  So performing this ritual is a sham!  It would be better if they show their respect in some real concrete manners rather than with such forced rituals!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-11 16:22:01 |Display all floors
This kneeling ritual is a bad joke! It is  show put up to show the world that Chinese children respect their elders; the truth is just the opposite!. The parents often have to give in to their children's often very unreasonable demands, and woe betide if they don't give in to their little emperors!
And older children don't even visit their parents, forcing the state to enact a law which requires them to visit their parents at least once a year(not too much), or face penalties, the only one of its kind in the world!
So  children, stop this silly game, and show a little respect to your parents in real life!!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.