Author: adele001

Protect Chinese traditional festivals: ban the Christmas Eve   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-12-27 13:57:59 |Display all floors

"Christianity was founded on the life, teachings, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, and those who follow him are called Christians."

The majority of Chinese people are not Christians;  it is somewhat laughable for these people to celebrate Christmas.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-27 13:58:30 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Ny321 at 2014-12-27 01:07

"Christianity was founded on the life, teachings, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, and those who follow him are called Christians."

The majority of Chinese people are not Christians;  it is somewhat laughable for these people to celebrate Christmas.

[Cd, please delete this duplicate post; maybe Cd should have a delete function in 'Edit Post.']

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-27 15:24:39 |Display all floors
"Christmas" actually started in the Roman Empire. It was called "Saturnalia". It was the celebration of the Winter Solstice. That time when day and night are of equal lengths because the earth is in the center of it's orbit around the sun. After the solstice, the nights start getting shorter, and the days start getting longer. The northern hemisphere starts to heat back up again because the tilt of the earth's axis is changing to be more towards the sun.

Christmas came about after the advent of the Christian Church. They incorporated the celebration of the birth of Christ into Saturnalia because it was easier to convert non-Christians this way. Christmas trees, as one poster already mentioned come from the Germanic tradition of bringing greenery indoors. Santa Claus comes from the patron Saint of Children, Saint Nicholas, who, some will say, was not a very nice man at all.

There is no actual date for the birth of Christ. However, if you look at the Biblical references, there are clues. Modern theologians place his birth during spring, when shepherds would be tending their flocks at night, because that was the birthing season for sheep, the number one livestock for the Middle East at that time.

Oh, and by-the-way, Jingle Bells is not a Christmas song. It was a Thanksgiving song, written by James Lord Piermont, to be a drinking song about one-horse sleigh races held every year in Medford, Massachusetts.
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.
I love sarcasm. It's like punching someone in the head ... only with words

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-27 15:52:32 |Display all floors
This post was edited by sfphoto at 2014-12-27 18:29
yasawakic Post time: 2014-12-27 08:57
Ministere de la culture has no power on publications, and art in france is quite free, that's why y ...

As a liberal democracy, the French Republic allows citizens the right to express their political beliefs but decides what kind of material media, advertising, entertainment and other cultural industries can publish to protect the French language and culture.

The subject of this thread is about cultural traditions not political beliefs.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-27 16:02:33 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2014-12-27 14:42
Mais tu n'as vraiment pas raison, mon ami!

I spent ten wonderful years in France and experienced ...

France is one of the few countries left in the Western World that does everything it can to protect its National Culture which includes its joie de vivre. I certainly hope the CPC does the same before the West turn China into one big Disneyland.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-27 16:32:07 |Display all floors
You deserve a vip card for the next best hypocrit awards, language/culture protection IS politic and so IS ideology, so if you mean about how much percent french tv channels or radio must programm, then yes, its protection policy, but when you  compare it with the aggressive propaganda against foreign scapegoat, it'NO! I never heard froggys government atrack Chinese culture or leading propanda against american culture: government dont fall so low taking peopkesvfor children and decide what they must like or dislike, therecare christians in China and if I was one of them I would feel offensed. Please dont takevus for dumbbs and dont to compare a country where governments try to create a multiciltural harmony and those who pretend to do it but use any differences\ foreign as favourite scapegoat. So I wish long life to the welcomed chinese new year in Paris. If leaders in China worryvaboutvtheirvculture, they could start from stopping persecutions against artists who sing a different song from the CCP. fightong against culture is like fightong against the wind.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-27 19:29:25 |Display all floors
adele001 Posted On  2 DayEarlier 12:49
seanboyce88 Post time: 2014-12-25 12:11      
I don't think banning foreign festivals is a good pol...

if everything new or good is about to be banned, then there is no future for every new thing. accepting them but emphasizing the traditional festivals is much more wise. so many foreigners in China can't go back home sometimes, the only way for them is just to celebrate it in China. also, celebrating different festivals can make our lives colorful.  also, without celebrating this kind of festivals,many merchants will lose a lot of opportunities to enlarge their products selling. more chances, more money. and more opportunities in China, more wonderful the life will be.  

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.