Author: adele001

Protect Chinese traditional festivals: ban the Christmas Eve   [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-12-26 16:18:11 |Display all floors
Why not, the West does not have a monopoly on Christmas

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-26 17:07:18 |Display all floors
Happy Solstice, everyone! When I celebrate Christmas every year, the "event" I'm celebrating is actually the December solstice, not the birth of Jesus. People have celebrated Solstice for millennia, and when Christianity spread throughout the world, Christians incorporated their holiday into the existing Solstice and New Year celebrations. I don't think there were any pine trees in Bethlehem to decorate.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-26 17:07:37 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2014-12-26 14:14
How can China remain China if the Corrupt Party of China no longer can decide when its subjects  ...

The purpose of the Christmas ban is not to crack down on all Western festivals, but to reverse the schools' obsession with Western festivals at the expense of Chinese ones, said Zheng Shangzhong of the city's educational bureau.

It won't be sinophobic Sennie  if he can't spout off against the entire government for a ban issued only by LOCAL city and school officials.  

Of course, Xmas bans by non-Chinese  will not enjoy the same wrath of Sennie:
In America- the land of the free- legalities of celebrating Christmas in public schools have been questioned by certain groups opposed to public religious expression.  Some schools in the USA have banned Christmas carols and trees.  Xmas decorations are banned in a part of Berlin Germany due to demands by Muslims living in the district.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-26 17:17:07 |Display all floors
msrong Post time: 2014-12-26 17:07
The purpose of the Christmas ban is not to crack down on all Western festivals, but to reverse th ...

Xmas decorations are banned in a part of Berlin Germany due to demands by Muslims living in the district.

what?  
some day Jiangsu will rule China

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-26 19:56:03 |Display all floors
There is something in what you said .In fact ,over here many people who celebrate Christmas aren't Christians ,even they don't know what it is all about ,in other words ,they join in the fun .Over here people enjoy freedom to believe in religion ,but don't forget that atheism is our mainstream and We hold people that worship and have blind faith in things foreign in contempt .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-26 20:47:27 |Display all floors
       While,  at the same time, Chinese traditional festivals have been the particular icons of Chinese culture. We have a lot of festivals such as Spring Festival, Lantern Festival, Dragon Boat Festival and so on. They are the most precious intangible cultural heritage that we have carried down from our ancestors. We, as a new generation in China, should shoulder the responsibility of protecting and rejuvenating them so that our off spring can enjoy and learn them in the long future. As we all know, the government also attaches importance to the traditional festivals. People in China will have a day off when a traditional festival comes.

You will be surprised in different parts of the world where events like the Dragon Boat Festival or Chinese New Year have started to be enfused with the local culture - much like the Indian Festival of Holi has begun to morph into a series of 'Color Run Marathons'.  Heck... who would have guessed a decade ago that a popular children's show in America would be titled 'NiHao Kailian'.

As for the question of 'X-Mas' - there are many folks in various orthodox religions that take a dim view of it... given that at its core, it is very very universal in the simple thought of bringing all people together, if only for a short time, for some much needed peace and joy in a very chaotic world of our own making.
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-26 21:44:33 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Bandito at 2014-12-26 17:47
seanboyce88 Post time: 2014-12-25 08:11
I don't think banning foreign festivals is a good policy, maybe just place more emphasis on Chinese  ...

Chinese festival here is limited to a patch of China town! Most folks does not even realise it is going on as it is a fringe event!

Lane Crawford in HK usually transform itself into Santa's grotto! I don't see Selfridges and/or even Chinese owned Harvey Nick's turning itself into a dragon boat or something during Chinese new year!

Wearing Santa outfit must be banned! I hate it anyways if not on a Santa.  Why would any sensible person that is not employed as santa think it is a suitable outdoor wear is beyond me.

No, I live above Sunset Plaza, it's a little house I rent and it's a little rundown but has a beautiful view, what about you?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.