Views: 18815|Replies: 92

Protect Chinese traditional festivals: ban the Christmas Eve   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-12-25 11:26:20 |Display all floors
This post was edited by adele001 at 2014-12-25 13:20

Protect Chinese traditional festivals: ban the Christmas Eve

With the booming of the globalization and the increase of the inter-cultural  communications, a lot of Western cultural phenomena can be seen in China, among  which there is the popularity of the Western festivals like Christmas, April Fool’s Days and Valentine’s Day and so on.

Some  people say that we should keep away from them and just leave them there. Other people contend that we need to be open-minded to the foreign festivals and learn some Western culture from them.

As I see it, foreign festivals, such as Christmas, on the one hand, can bring us  happiness and joy to all of us, on the other hand, promote the consumption and flourish the commercial market. It is quite a good way for Chinese to know more  about other country and broaden our horizon to the world.

While,  at the same time, Chinese traditional festivals have been the particular icons of Chinese culture. We have a lot of festivals such as Spring Festival, Lantern Festival, Dragon Boat Festival and so on. They are the most precious intangible cultural heritage that we have carried down from our ancestors. We, as a new generation in China, should shoulder the responsibility of protecting and rejuvenating them so that our off spring can enjoy and learn them in the long future. As we all know, the government also attaches importance to the traditional festivals. People in China will have a day off when a traditional festival comes.

In my personal point of view, Chinese people are not a slave or yes-man to foreign festivals, but a man who yearns for something new and interesting to kill the  pressure and boredom of modern city life.

Hua Shang news had that one university in Xi’an requires students to view the Confucius documentary on the Christmas Eve.

Global times also reported that Schools in Wenzhou, East China's Zhejiang Province, have been forbidden from holding any Christmas-related events this year,according to a notice released by the city's education authorities.

Workers move a Santa Claus figure outside a club in Beijing on Christmas Eve on Wednesday. The Western festival has exploded in the officially atheist nation in recent years, with marketers using everything from saxophones and Smurfs to steam trains to get shoppers to open their wallets. Photo: AFP (global times)

Chinese  traditional festivals and western festivals can coexist harmoniously in China  instead of banning the western festivals to protect the other. It  is right to encourage the traditional festival; however, banning the western  festival at school has never been a wise move to go.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-25 11:38:46 |Display all floors
This post was edited by adele001 at 2014-12-25 11:43

(hua shang web) parents send a birthday cake for their daughter.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-25 11:41:53 |Display all floors
This post was edited by adele001 at 2014-12-25 11:43

(from hua shang web) love your traditional culture ban the western festivals

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-25 12:11:19 |Display all floors
I don't think banning foreign festivals is a good policy, maybe just place more emphasis on Chinese ones to make sure they are more important in China.

Can you imagine the uproar of foreign countries banned Chinese festivals?

You know that every time I try to go
Where I really want to be
It's already where I am
'Cause I'm already there

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-25 12:49:26 |Display all floors
seanboyce88 Post time: 2014-12-25 12:11
I don't think banning foreign festivals is a good policy, maybe just place more emphasis on Chinese  ...

It is definitely not a good and wise policy.
we need find a good way to preserve one's traditional culture.
how's Chinese traditional culture in your country?

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-12-25 12:55:19 |Display all floors
seanboyce88 Post time: 2014-12-25 12:11
I don't think banning foreign festivals is a good policy, maybe just place more emphasis on Chinese  ...

Yep good point...
Across the uk chinese new year is celebrated, and in london workers are now given days off during the festival. The locals are well in to this festival now...
banning xmas in China would just be very childish...
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-25 13:01:31 |Display all floors
This post was edited by wchao37 at 2014-12-25 13:48

No one in the West celebrate the birth of Confucius.  why should we help them to celebrate a lie about God's son being born on December 25 in the year CE?  Even Christians themselves know the date is falsified.  

Jesus was a Buddhist monk trained in Buddhism in present-day Kashmir from his early teens to early 30's.

You can go to youtube and search "Jesus in Kashmir" to find out.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.