Author: beginner2013

Why Chinese is so 'damn hard'?   [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-11-15 11:25:38 |Display all floors
surfer567 Post time: 2014-11-11 20:09
Well, I prefer to speak English, but only because I'm better at it.

I knew enough Mandarin to date ...

I thought u r Chinese.       

Many men know how 2 cook now.  

Smile at whatever happens.
任它花开花落,一笑而过!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-16 20:38:32 |Display all floors
Perfumecity Post time: 2014-11-15 11:25
I thought u r Chinese.        

Many men know how 2 cook now.

you know what, according to your government, i am not chinese. but it doesn't matter, it's just a label.

maybe if you go to japan, you will see that japanese men don't cook. in this regard, china is much more advanced than japan.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-17 13:18:55 |Display all floors
I speak Chinese as a second language. I disagree with the points listed by Moser in the article:

-- Because the writing system is ridiculous.
Why is the writing system ridiculous? Characters are mostly made up of two parts -- a radical and a phonetic marker. While more complicated than an alphabet, there is extreme logic in written Chinese. The radical tells you about the meaning 手(提),目(眼),口(吃)等等 and the phonetic aids in pronunciation.

-- Because the language doesn't have the common sense to use an alphabet.
This is ridiculous. Besides, Pinyin is used in early learning to understand pronunciation. I spent a good 8-12 months to learn two thousand characters, but after that initial time investment I found new vocabulary EASY to learn and know. In English there are words of Latin, German, French and other origins. It is way easier to learn a new Chinese word if you know the Character components than it is to learn new English vocabulary. The alphabet only aids in pronunciation, it often can give little to no hint of MEANING.

-- Because the writing system just ain't very phonetic.
Yes, Chinese writing is quite phonetic -- 方,放,房,防,比,毕,望,忘,亡等等. To call Chinese not very phonetic probably means you are not literate in Chinese...

-- Because tonal languages are weird;
I think like a quarter or half of human languages are tonal. The tones take time -- my native tongue is not tonal -- but can be learned with practice. My tones are awesome because when I learned to read I had to memorize hundreds of characters. When I memorized with flashcards I would say loudly each word. My tones are great today if I take the time and focus.

-- Because East is East and West is West, and the twain have only recently met.
Hasn't there been global trade and communication for thousands of years? That Silk Road that is being rebuilt has a long, glorious history...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-24 12:43:46 |Display all floors
I found in this forum, the speaker bilingual plate is almost Chinese. This is the reason why. We have the motivation to learn english. And the people who speak English without dynamics of chinese. Don't even bother to use Google translation.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-24 19:35:57 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2014-11-24 15:00
Perfect Google translation!

I just don't know what you have translated it from. So I canno ...

I used Baidu translate.Like google translate.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-24 19:58:27 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2014-11-24 15:00
Perfect Google translation!

I just don't know what you have translated it from. So I canno ...

Here are some tips, Chinese usually use short sentences, using attributive rarely. For example, you want to say: China is a country with a long history, it has built the Great Wall. Instead of using the English sentence patterns: China which with a long history built the great wall.Phrase translation is usually more suitable for the use of machine translation. They are usually accurate.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2014-11-24 20:44:27 |Display all floors
surfer567 Post time: 2014-11-16 20:38
you know what, according to your government, i am not chinese. but it doesn't matter, it's just a  ...

A strange comment, when i was in Japan I saw most of the restaurants had men cooking in them

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.