Views: 13175|Replies: 34

Why do Chinese prefer celebrating western festivals?   [Copy link] 中文

Medal of honor

Post time 2014-11-3 14:29:38 |Display all floors
Compared with their traditional festivals, Chinese people are more than willing to celebrate western ones like Christmas, Halloween, or Valentine's Day. They seem to regard them as their own festivals. It's weird. The western cultures have been introduced to China but Chinese people are gradually forgetting about their own cultures and festivals.  I am confused about this phenomenon. I am eager to know why western festivals have won over Chinese people' heart.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-9 18:05:32 |Display all floors
Good question. I wouldn't go as far as to say that Chinese prefer celebrating Western Festivals, but some Chinese definitely do enjoy celebrating Western Festivals (in China).  Can any Chinese people please explain why you do this?  You would not see Americans or Canadians celebrating Mid-Autumn Festival or Spring Festival on their own in N.America.  Many foreigners think this is very strange when they see this in China.

Would love an honest answer to this question.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-9 18:25:18 |Display all floors
western holidays are just like games. it is like the whole society is palying a game together. by contrast, chinese festivals are rituals that are performed with one family, between relatives and people you know. it does not feel like a game as much as western festivals.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-9 18:27:21 |Display all floors
As an adult, I don't celebrate any Western holidays.

The only holiday I celebrate today is the Chinese New Year.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-9 21:22:50 |Display all floors
$$$$$$

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-9 22:48:16 |Display all floors
i think perhaps we are lacking in konwlege of chinese festivals and have no motivation to learn them, therefore,we tend to know the date of those festivals and not dig deeper into their origins and so forth.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-10 04:28:55 |Display all floors

Linda
Seems you are confused, ignorant or got lost. I guessed you just visited a shopping mall and got surprised to see Christmas decorations with a sour mood.

1.- The 3 festivals that you´ve mentioned are not WESTERN festivals.
- Christmas is celebrating in all countries where they have  Christian religion. North America, South America, Europe, Africa and some Asian countries, Australia too.
- Saint Valentine´s Day is related to love and love is universal, isn´t it?
- Halloween most people doesn´t know or doesn´t care the origin or the meaning, the point is just to get fun,  its a good excuse to wear different in a party.

2.- All the 3 foreign festivities you just mentioned arrived to China due to the globalization and they are purely for business reasons. More lights, more music, more decorations and more advertisings in malls, restaurants, etc,  will attract customer and consumers. The point is to get money, this phenomeno it happnes in China and in the whole world .

3.- The Chinese people DID NOT PREFER foreign festivities, some just enjoy it, some just ignore it. They DO NOT CHOOSE a foreign festival over local festivals,  There is not win over a loser. DO NOT over estimated the Chinese people.

Try to learn about other cultures, try to identify what is foreign and what is Western festivals. Try to value more your own culture and festivals, seems you got too impressed by foreign festivals. Chinese festivals are great too, value them more same as most Chinese do it.
Denial, according the psychoanalysts, is one of the most primary mechanisms of defense. It consists in the attitude of denying or minimizing obvious facts of reality with which the individual can´t  cope or whose irresponsibility is unable to meet.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.