Author: freeman

"we will definitely not tolerate Taiwan independence" [Copy link] 中文

gtnbia has been deleted
Post time 2003-11-17 17:02:09 |Display all floors

re: we Chinese are owned by that Island...?

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

gtnbia has been deleted
Post time 2003-11-17 17:04:12 |Display all floors

that island..

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-17 21:59:50 |Display all floors

we Chinese are owned by that Island...? ??????????

Yes -- It is a pretty weird notion isn't it, and yes it depends on ones point of view.

Personally i have no axe to grind one way or the other. I know that the "free world" was pretty scared of the "reds"-both Russian and Chinese, and of course N Korea and N Vietnam, so Taiwan was seen as a symbol of defiance for many years. Now the fear has largely gone (though not entirely because China, while generally  progressing towards more freedom/openness, occasionally takes an inexplicable step backwards) but of course attitudes have hardened to such an extent that a lot of the world still looks as Taiwan as a freedom fighter. Yes most, but not all the world recognises PRC ahead of Taiwan but lets face it, principles never get in the way of pragmatism  when money is involved.

As I said, China has realised that the way to get a half wild cat back home is not to yell and scream and shoot rockets over its head and threaten to beat its brains out if it dares to run away. China tried it and eventually realised it doesn't work. Unfortunately, now the cat will stay scared for a long time so now is the time to start putting the bowl of warm milk out every day to coax it back home.

Back to the notion of a mere 23 million people actually having a legitimate right to mainland China and its 1.3 billion people.
----------------------------
Just for arguments sake -- suppose you owned a huge house. It was yours, all paid for. Then a gang of armed bandits smashed the front door in and chased you out of the house and you took refuge in a pokey little shed just down the road on some more land you own..
Who owns the big house. You or the gang of bandits? Who owns the little shed?  Hmmmm!

OK -- so you can't get back into the house, and the bandits have pretty well wrecked it anyway so you decide to do the best you can. So you work your butt off,  learn from that rich Japanese living just up the road, and pretty soon you are even richer than before. Much much richer in fact and doing pretty well.

Doesn't take long for the bandits to notice your nice new shiny big house and so they start demanding that you come back and join them. In fact they are now claiming to own not only your original house, but the new one as well. Hmmmm!  So leaglly, who owns the original house, and legally who owns the new house?
----------------------------------

Well I guess you can take that sort of analogy as far as you like and depending on your point of view you will find that it holds water pretty well.

It doesn't hurt to follow the old (and oft, oft-repeated) "every coin has two sides"

Back in the real world -- Taiwan is suffering the same sort of downturn that the US, Japan and a couple of others are suffering, and China is finally doing OK and getting better. The two Chinas may yet realise that there is much to gain by cooperating rather than posturing. Economically they will get back together., and in fact this has been happening for years.

Politically??

I won't hold my breath.

Use magic tools Report

chairman has been deleted
Post time 2003-11-18 00:19:41 |Display all floors

You western foreign subversives and splittest know only too well what you write.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-18 00:39:18 |Display all floors

and another thing.....if you follow threads and read all your posts...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-18 00:45:20 |Display all floors

This is my stated position......what is yours...?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-18 00:46:48 |Display all floors

That..! was the stated position of chairman....what is YOUR stated position.....

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.