Author: BetsyLie

[Others] To the moon and back: Lunar mission to test China's space program [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-10-29 19:28:33 |Display all floors
Alarico Post time: 2014-10-24 08:59
Why waste money on a trip to the moon?

It would be more embarrassing than an accomplishment that it ...

China's space program only began in earnest in the 90s. China also has more than enough money, can't say the same about NASA though.

Thick enough to spot and dismiss nonsense like your post. Smart enough to realize China now has the ability to independently put people into space, shoot down satellites and build a space station.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-29 20:11:49 |Display all floors
This post was edited by emanreus at 2014-10-29 20:23
Quasar_3 Post time: 2014-10-29 19:28
China's space program only began in earnest in the 90s. China also has more than enough money, can ...

An unmanned Antares rocket is seen exploding seconds after lift off from a commercial launch pad in this still image from NASA video at Wallops Island, Virginia, Oct 28, 2014.
The Antares rocket carrying the company's Cygnus spacecraft blew up six seconds after its liftoff at 6:22 pm EDT (2222 GMT) from US space agency NASA's Wallops Flight Facility in eastern Virginia.
Cygnus is carrying 5,050 pounds (2,290 kilograms) of supplies for its third cargo resupply mission to the International Space Station.
One of the new experiments on board is the so-called Drain Brain investigation, a study that will try to determine how blood flows from the brain down to the heart in the absence of gravity.

AND

a U.S. military test rocket, designed to fly up to 10 times the speed of sound and attack targets anywhere in the world in under an hour, failed spectacularly this week just after taking off from a site on Alaska’s Kodiak Peninsula.
Reuters reported. Alaska radio station KMXT cited witnesses as saying the rocket started a nosedive before it exploded.
Well done America

AND another bites the dust.

A SpaceX rocket exploded Friday during a test launch outside of McGregor, Texas.

The test flight was part of SpaceX's experimentation with reusable boosters. The launch involved a Falcon 9 vehicle configured with three rocket engines.

Video shot by onlookers captured the rocket as it went up, seemed to hover in mid air, and then explode in a fireball The video was shared by local TV station KWTX.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-29 20:22:18 |Display all floors
emanreus Post time: 2014-10-29 20:11
AND
a U.S. military test rocket, designed to fly up to 10 times the speed of sound and attack targ ...

To be fair, Space X and Orbital Science (who had a failure like...yesterday) are both private US space companies (I'm pretty sure).

Actually I think they are a plus, especially since NASA is cash strapped. I do think private space companies are the future and hope Chinese companies do the same. I hear Wang Jing's Xinwei Telecom Enterprise Group is similarly getting into space, I hope he succeeds.

Nobody has perfected hypersonic flight yet. You are looking at speeds of Mach 10 and faster. It is a cutting edge field.

Don't get me wrong, I understand and agree with your sentiment when certain people post what they post. However I am more a fan of highlighting success, than a battle of failures.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-29 20:27:40 |Display all floors
Quasar_3 Post time: 2014-10-29 20:22
To be fair, Space X and Orbital Science (who had a failure like...yesterday) are both private US s ...

"I am more a fan of highlighting success, than a battle of failures."

Yes, I will do the same, once the other side has stopped bashing China for what ever She does.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-29 20:30:31 |Display all floors
emanreus Post time: 2014-10-29 20:27
"I am more a fan of highlighting success, than a battle of failures."

Yes, I will do the same, on ...

Fair enough lol.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-29 22:23:24 |Display all floors
Quasar_3 Post time: 2014-10-29 20:30
Fair enough lol.

Orbital Sciences first stage rocket engines, bought from Aerojet a Russian company and americanised by renaming them from UDSSR - NK-33 when it was built during the sixties to AJ-26 to power the Antares for lift off.
Mind you, the Ruskies built the best rocket engines ever.
Copie CAT comes to my mind (:-

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-30 03:08:02 |Display all floors
This post was edited by cestmoi at 2014-10-30 03:11

Hey Betsy, I have a request for CNSA.

Please do away with the politics and glorification of CCP leaders and concentrate on science and technology, the way NASA does it.

It should showcase China's space programs and be an educational as well as motivational site for aspiring Chinese scientists, students and geeks.

You may highlight the accomplishments of scientists, students, geeks and taikonauts, just not CCP politicians, not unless it is the president visiting CNSA.
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.