Author: voice_cd

Questions to ask English experts from Chinese learners (Round 23)   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-10-20 07:12:50 |Display all floors
This post was edited by incarnationabc at 2014-10-20 11:04

Please quit peddling Ukanian, USanian etc. in THIS THREAD,  and stop taking Chinese learners of English for a language ride!

Most Chinese learners who posed the questions here are at the entry level of English, and they have no idea about satirical, or funny connotation and informal register behind those newly coined words/slang.

They need to use DECENT English wording in their appropriate writing and conversation instead of a mouthful of slang. You ladies and gents are expected to be serious to the language questions of those avid learners of English, and show a modicum of professionalism as we address you as "English experts" with great honour and trust.

There is one spectacle grander than the sea, that is the sky; there is one spectacle grander than the sky, that is the interior of the soul.-Victor Hugo

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-20 07:56:38 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2014-10-19 13:08
Well, thanks to one Herr Schliemann, Troja has been uncovered and we can now trust HOmer as a hi ...

The simple trojan horse merely hid cowardly attackers. In contrast the canadian liars confessed to attempted murder by forced prostitution, confess by referring to it, and each who believes that slander is aiding and abetting the previous wannabe murderers who spoke those lies and is attempting murder in front of witnesses, and appeals to ignorance won't work since the repetition of slander aiming to kill shows malice in the intention.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-20 08:03:24 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2014-10-19 13:12
If you did want to use it as a play on wordes it would be UKnian but either way it is a clumsy wor ...

Malicious insults aiming to hurt uninvolved, innocent people by trying to hurt their reputations behind their backs, expressing cowardice, and wishing to run away from normal conversation, expressing more cowardice and inner malice, is different from wordplay. Normal jokes are harmless, in good taste and let us laugh without slapstick humour, without scatological humour, and without laughing at anyone's expense. Ukrainians and canadians never worked a day in their lives and depend on begging and money laundering which thoroughly disgust all of the United Kingdom.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-10-20 09:44:03 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Ratfink at 2014-10-20 09:49
incarnationabc Post time: 2014-10-19 20:50
Your Highness aka Expert of English,

#1 Latin is the "parent language" of French, as well as tha ...

Just for you and yes it's a suffix.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sino-

It's also listed in the full print version of the OED but the online version doesn't have it.  I have a full print version, 20 main volumes plus updates), as well it's in the full Collins and the MW reference series.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-10-20 09:50:22 |Display all floors
incarnationabc Post time: 2014-10-20 07:12
Please quit peddling Ukanian, USanian etc. in THIS THREAD,  and stop taking Chinese learners of Engl ...

Well said.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-20 10:09:41 |Display all floors
This post was edited by incarnationabc at 2014-10-20 10:59
Ratfink Post time: 2014-10-20 09:44
Just for you and yes it's a suffix.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sino-

Dear English Expert Ratfink,

With all due respect,  did you read the words  as I cited from the source you provided? Where does it claim sino is solely orignated from French, and deny the other possible origins.

Origin of SINO-

French,from Late Latin Sinae, plural, Chinese, from Greek Sinai, probably of Indo-Aryan origin; akin to Sanskrit Cīnā, plural, Chinese

Second, I'm afraid you haven't answered the other two questions of mine about it to you.

Third, on the basis of knowledge of the other people, sino would be orginated from Sanskrit in the Buddhist scritures tracked back to as ealier as the 8th century... In Sanskrit, it was pronouce as cina. Thereof it would more be likely sino was coined by Indians instead of Europeans according to my educated guess. French and Greek, etc other European lanuages might borrow it from Sanskrit-one of the languages of India which is a neighbor of China.

Finally, may I offer my unflattering suggestion - please don't show off your thousands Australian Dollars of books here?  The taste would not be really tasty as you try to impress us. Her Majesty of the UK might own millions and millions pound worth of books, but are we sure she read them all and understand?  The knowledge of a person cannot be valued by money.

My two Chinese cents!

There is one spectacle grander than the sea, that is the sky; there is one spectacle grander than the sky, that is the interior of the soul.-Victor Hugo

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2014-10-20 11:51:39 |Display all floors
J.E.Overington Post time: 2014-10-20 08:03
Malicious insults aiming to hurt uninvolved, innocent people by trying to hurt their reputations b ...

Not sure what you are trying to say herebut your line "Ukrainians and canadians never worked a day in their lives and depend on begging and money laundering which thoroughly disgust all of the United Kingdom" seems a rather racist comment to me

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.