Views: 12547|Replies: 58

Tighter requirements for foreign teachers in China   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-9-16 09:04:09 |Display all floors
If you are a White native speaker of English from the US, UK, Australia, or Canada, you will be able to find a job teaching English in China with or without a degree, prior teaching experience, or a TEFL certificate.  I have met quite a few people who have not. I know a new graduate from UK without any teaching experience easily lands a job teaching English in a wellknown language educational institute in Beijing.

But a new regulation has just been issued in China to raise the requirements for foreign teachers. Starting from October 31, language teacher must hold some form of teaching certification and 2 years of related work experience, and non-language teachers will be required to have at least 5 years of related experience. These new regulations could mean a lot of unqualified foreigners may be at the end of their rope.

What do you think of tightening rules for foreign teachers? Is it a good news for China's English learners? What if the schools and institutions that retain employees who are illegally working? How strictly will the 5-year rule be enforced?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-16 09:11:28 |Display all floors
Chinese people prefer whites who are native English speakers to teach them English, but Japanese people prefer Asians who are native English speakers to teach them English.
There is progress whether you are going forward or backward; the thing is to move.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-16 09:38:25 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-16 10:09:58 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-16 10:10:29 |Display all floors
If you are a Chinese, travel to west seeking for teaching position, you can be assured that you will be subject to many regulatory factors before you get employment status. Whilst many European & American are facing economic turbulences in their native country, they travel across here with a piece of luggage and honing their language skill in China and most Chinese naively got hooked that they are indeed the answer to their English language linguistic skill. Do always remember, not all whites are doing the right thing in China. usually the highly skillful one would never leave their motherland as they would have the capability to make a decent living in the place where they originated. So the only one that flocked their feathers and teach English in China trying to make some decent bucks to stay financially healthy may not be ideally the one you should pursue the language skill you require.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-16 10:24:40 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-16 10:54:44 |Display all floors
I think the requirements are good...  I am not a teacher... and did not  come here to teach.. or to make a living... but many ads I see for English teaching positions say "conversational English  " ........ it would seem to me that anyone ..of any color or country that spoke English would qualify .... now to be able to teach that is where the skill comes in..

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.