Views: 2091|Replies: 13

Is receiving-gifts a corrupt act for teachers?[2]- Chinadaily.com.cn-gifts a cor [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-9-10 16:35:51 |Display all floors
I am quite skeptical of his story, I want to know why the teacher has not been awarding his child the honorary title. According to what I have learned, only through a series of comprehensive assessments can the title be decided.

There are always around 70 students in one class, while only about five students can get the title. So there is no feasible criterion or practical way to get this done. F ...

--------Click here for more information--------

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-10 16:35:52 |Display all floors
Instead of parents buying gifts, why not encourage children to make small gifts, drawing or paper flowers, or even a simple card?  A small gift of love should be the greatest gift of all to a good teacher.  I got one, and nothing could make me happier.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-10 17:42:11 |Display all floors
PatrickInBeijin Post time: 2014-9-10 16:35
Instead of parents buying gifts, why not encourage children to make small gifts, drawing or paper fl ...

yeah, those are nice, especially from small children...i used to tutor small kids in japan and as a goodbye present, i got a handmade card from one little girl...so heart-warming...
There is progress whether you are going forward or backward; the thing is to move.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-14 22:27:06 |Display all floors
i want to share a story of me. when i was in senior high middle school, the GAOKAO is around the corner, the competition in my provice is so fierce that it is really hard to get admitted by a famous school. i just can not concentrate on my study and have no idea of the reason. i would have a headache as long as l gegun my study. all my parents and i are worried, and we did not know what to do and my reacher just paid no attention to me beacause i was not excellent enough to get admitted by Peking university or tsinghua university. it is my teachers' traditon that if you can not get admitted by such famous school, they would never care about you. and then you know what, just one day, at the end of the class, my teacher chat with me, you will never know how gratiful i am. after my final examination i know the fact, my parents give my teacher much money, so he is willing to talk with me to find my troble and help me.during that period, i was sad, i hate him, and since then never go back to visit him. in my opion, he is not ok as a teacher, at least his character is bad, he doesn;t like his students but just money. by the way, i once lived in Heibei provice.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-24 13:38:48 |Display all floors
This seems to be a real problem for Chinese parents today, judging by the conversations of my friends.  In my country it is unusual to buy any present for a teacher and most teachers would feel very uncomfortable about accepting a present.  There are three exceptions to this general pattern.  

1.  In primary school, children always want to buy a Christmas present for their teacher because gift giving at Christmas is traditional.  Many schools give guidelines to parents, saying that the teachers can only accept presents with a value of less than, for example, 50 Yuan.  My local school back home advises parents to buy these Christmas presents from a charity shop or a 'pound shop' - where nothing costs more than 10 Yuan.  This avoids creating differences between the children of wealthier and poorer parents, but allows all the children to express their love for their teacher. Another school I know uses the solution proposed by PatrickinBeijin, and says the presents must be something made by the child  - a card or a picture or cookies etc.  

2.  In high school, after an important exam like Gaokao, if the student has done well because of the teacher's skill, and once it is clear that the teacher has no more 'power' over that student's marks or prospects,  parents or students might buy a SMALL present to say thank you to the teacher; flowers or wine or chocolates etc.  But most teachers would not accept a large present.

3.  If a teacher is leaving the school or retiring, the students often put their money all together and buy a leaving present for that teacher.  No names or amounts of money are recorded, so nobody knows who gave what and if a student doesn't like the teacher they don't have to give anything.  So, again, the present is acceptable only because it cannot influence how the teacher teaches the students or how the teacher awards marks.   

It seems to me that the solution to this problem lies with the schools and teachers here in China.  In my first two years here I refused many, many presents and many offers of hospitality.  I told parents and students that my foreign employer did not allow me to accept presents before the end of the year (and never worth more than 50 Yuan), and also that I could accept a lunch or dinner invitation from a whole class but not from individual students in a class. Since the end of my second year here, once everyone understood that I really did follow those rules, I have hardly ever had to refuse such offers.

It seems to me that all human beings like to give and receive presents.  But if a present is given in order to gain something, or out of fear that a teacher may not do their job properly without it, then it is not a present it is a corrupt payment.  The problem here (for my friends who are parents) is that the rules are not stated clearly, or stated rules are not enforced, or that both parents and teachers say one thing but actually do another.  What's the solution? I don't know but I'm very glad to see that such things are being discussed more now.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-25 08:36:37 |Display all floors
primary and middle school teachers are more corrupt than government officials. i have colleagues that must send gifts, if not the teacher doesn't bother about their children in class. the exam scores are lower. this also goes for the class monitor. if you don't give him (rarely a girl) a good birthday present he won't pass on good words to the teacher.

then there's the after school classes the teacher holds to teach the class what the teacher didn't teach in class. but that's another story

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2014-10-25 11:09:50 |Display all floors
Do Bus Drivers receive gifts! Street Cleaners! Shop Assistants, they all provide essential services. Bus drivers are in a far most dangerous position than teachers, abuse and possible physical attack from travellers. Teacher are paid a salary, it's the profession they alone decide. A pleasant good morning, an apple, a birthday card is sufficient. Unfortunately many teachers have an ego, often placing themselves on a higher pedestal than others, they expect to receive rewards or gifts, is it fair that one teachers may receive better, or more expensive gift than others. Teachers are already paid to do the job they do, that's enough.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.